Monday, September 5, 2011

Rain


I don't sit around very well. After a great ride at Tom Brown and getting to watch the college kids race on Saturday I was hoping the forecast for Sunday was wrong. It wasn't. I finished a book, cleaned the shop, and then stared out the back door as it flooded. Is it the endorphins I'm hooked on? Why do I crave riding my bicycle? I watched another episode of Mad Men.

It was too wet to do any yard work. Blake had a loud game going on the PS 3 and I hadn't seen him in hours. I stared out the front door. I watched a little football. I really wanted to ride. In the past it never failed to rain the weekend I brought home a new dirt bike. I expect the new bicycle won't be in till later in the week so I hope fate just missed it by a weekend.



I went back out to the shop and decided to put some of the old moto trophies away. Why I didn't just throw them in the garbage can I'll never know. They're just cheap gaudy plastic trophies that take up a lot of room. I can't even remember the specific race where I won some of them. Sometimes I would get a trophy for first place even if just 3 riders showed up. Such is life in the moto 45 plus world. Wow, you actually rode motocross old man, here's a trophy. I stuck them in the rafters.




I threw away a whole box of Honda parts. Grips, brake levers, and assorted stuff I couldn't identify. As I was digging through the box I found a couple of pictures from the Alligator Enduro that took place in Daytona during bike week every year. One was dated 1996, man 15 years ago? That race was cool, kind of like a national. All the pros were there, it ran on Thursday and had a 500 rider cap that sold out every year. It wasn't a very fun trail but was always a challenge. We usually rented an old house in the Ocala National Forest for most of the week so all I had to do after the race was drink a margarita and head for the woods. Good times!









It was still raining. I was feeling old.I grabbed a beer and turned on a little music. Maybe it won't rain tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment