Monday, March 5, 2012

A Rainy Day In Georgia

Ah, the Tour of Amsterdam, we should have used jet skis, not bicycles.
I really thought we could get it in before the rain started. I was wrong, so very wrong. I had so few entries I decided to let riders roll when they wanted to. The earlier starters got to do at least 80% of the trail in the dry. The later ones weren't so lucky.
Anyhoo we got to socialize in the cabin while we waited for the lunch to cook. Since we had such a small crowd we were able to eat in the dry at a real table while the ATV riders stood around in the pouring rain trying to eat baked beans off of paper plates. It pays to know the promoter.
At 1:00 I still had 3 riders out on the course. By this time it must have rained 6" and was still coming down in buckets. They were pulling the food vendor's truck up the hill with a tractor while I sat there in the cabin watching the show. I finally called and got one of the rider's cell phone number and gave him a call, thinking they were huddled under a log somewhere waiting for someone to come and get them. I just didn't know who I was dealing with. They were still riding! I had to tell them to cut it short and come in on the road! They came down the muddy road to the house squealing like the Geico pig. Big smiles on all three muddy faces. They danced around hosing the red Georgia clay off of body and bike. They were having a great time!
Thanks to those who braved the almost biblical rain and wind, and to Todd and Mike at Higher ground for providing the prizes. We had fun playing poker for them while we waited for lunch. I seriously doubt I'll try this again. I have a long list of moto racing, and now cycling events, that have not gone quite as expected.
On the up side we managed to raise some money for a really good cause. No body got hurt. And I had some beer left over to take home with me.
Oh, and Mr. Anderson, you're an animal!

2 comments:

  1. It was wet. It was muddy. It was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had more than our share of swamp epics, lately! Still glad I went. I still kinda hope you change your mind about promoting it, again.

    ReplyDelete