Monday, April 14, 2014

Group Ride

I am training, for what I'm not sure.  I enjoy the structure of my LW training plans, I don't seem to be able to leave the house and "just go for a ride".  Is that a problem?  Apparently.

Big Jim says "the old man's always training, he's been training for 2 years straight".  I can't help it I don't have the natural ability to build massive horse-like calves in just a few short months.  He accompanied me on a training ride earlier this week, we were doing 3 minute intervals, my gosh you should have heard the whining.

Jim: "How long before we start?"


Me: "We've got another minute."

"Ok, let me know when it's 30 seconds."

"Beep, beep, beep" (the sound my Garmin makes when it's time for the interval to start)

After interval finishes:

"How many more of these do we have to do (pant, pant pant)?"

"Three sets of three".

"How long do I  (pant) get to (pant) rest?"

"Three minutes."

"Oh my, ok, tell me when we get to 30 seconds.  I am soooo out of shape."

This repeated for all three sessions.  When you read it, put that little whine in it.  You'll get a better picture of how it went.

Thursday Night

Rider 1's new bike was finally ready, or so he thought, so we agreed to meet at Higher Ground at 6 for a group ride.  I had a short interval planned for the ride, just to wake my legs up for the Hammerhead 50 coming up Sunday, but I didn't bother to share this with the group before we started.  But first we had to get started.




When I got to the shop both Rider 1 and Rider 2 were sitting at the counter, their bikes in the work stands being worked on.  I won't go into the specific issues but suffice to say someone was having teething problems with his new ride and the other guy, well, his bike was making all sorts of squeaking noises (probably due to the increased load it was being required to carry).

After getting the bikes sorted out someone still had to go home and change into riding gear, and Rider 2 had to take his usual 20 minutes to get his kit on.  I think we rolled out of HG about 6:20 for a 6:00 ride. 

When we met Silk at the power line, Rider 1 was no where to be found, Silk headed toward his house to try and find him.  Five minutes later both show back up.  We form the usual conga line and head up the Silk trail.

After a long warm up my Garmin alerted me it was time for my little interval.  Since I was leading the ride I assumed they would just fall in behind me.  After all the pace wasn't anything difficult (for them).  At 5 minutes into my 10 minute interval I looked back, I was all alone.

Now if anybody else in that group had taken off the front, they would have all pursued.  But let me do it and nooooooo, we want to ride and talk tonight.  I happened to run into them again at the lake and fell onto the back of the line.

I decided not to use the names of my fellow riders for this little story.  I do enjoy group rides and would hate to be ostracized (again).

Anyhoo, moral of the story, either do a training ride or a group ride.

Up next, race report from the Hammerhead 50.


Well that and the fact that I'm slow.




1 comment:

  1. This was a funny and entertaining post...up until the moment you used the phrase "increased load". Downhill from there.

    ReplyDelete