Friday, May 16, 2014

Train



Reading an article in Florida Cycling Magazine regarding training plans made me wonder who really does these things?  An example: 25 push ups, 25 pull ups, 25 burpees, 25 sit ups, 25 jump squats (with a 20 ball), run 2 miles, that's one circuit, repeat five times.  I may not be very good at math but isn't that a total of running 10 miles?  I know my local gym in Beautiful Downtown Havana isn't home to many really serious multi-sport athletes but I'm pretty sure no one is hitting it this hard.  In fact I'd like to meet the cat that's doing this level of exercise.

It did make me feel weak about my little circuit.  I used to think I was doing pretty good with my OMTP.  I guess I just need to get out in the real world more often.

Another article had me taking a VO2 max test.  Not a real one but one where you just fill in the blanks with your age, waist size, number of hours you exercise, etc.  The end result showed me to have a "fitness age" of less than 20.  No kidding, I didn't lie.  Now if I can only figure out how to not look like I'm more than 65.

Anyhoo, so now I'm armed with this information.  Somebody out there is doing some serious workouts, and I've got the body of a 20 year old.  I hit the gym feeling pretty froggy, which is a recipe for disaster.  I put the Black Sabbath playlist on and proceed to almost kill myself.


This was my favorite album cover, unfortunately mine got wet and peeled.



The following afternoon is a MTB ride.  Still sore from the night before I roll out to do a 20 minute TT.  I was heaving pretty good by the end and the legs darn sure weren't feeling like they were 20 years old.  As I finished I ran into D. A. and agreed to ride with him while he reconed a Strava segment.  He had just finished his own 25 minute TT but you wouldn't know it by the tempo he set.  He gapped me seemingly without effort.  I do realize he's still in his early 40's, but hey, I've got a fitness age of less than 20!  Hello real world.

So what do I do now?  I'll tell you what I'll do.  I'm going to start another training program.  That's right, I'm going to start training for 50 mile MTB races using LW Coaching's Masters 40+ MTB 50 Mile Personal Record Training Plan.  I figure since my XC season fell apart (it was The Kid's fault) I just need another goal.

By the time I get done with this I should have the fitness age of a teenager.  And about as much sense.

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite interested in hearing about this 50mile plan. Curious to see where the differences fall. Anyway, you just may get a few takers on these longer events. Myself included.

    ReplyDelete