Friday, June 13, 2014

Mother, Mother Ocean

Yea I know, Mr. Buffet has been overplayed, especially at the Riverview Restaurant in St. Marks.  In fact they played the same 10 songs over and over.  Still it was hard to get too upset, as long as the beer was cold and the food adequate.  Which both were.  It's a dive but I like it.

Big Jim photo.  Don't we look pro?

We ended up there after partaking in my newest hobby.  Well it's not quite a hobby yet, I'm still feeling it out to see if it fits.  Kayaking.

We rented boats from Wilderness Way.  The Lovely Wife and I in a tandem, Big Jim and The Kid each in singles.  Plopped them in the water at the highway 98 launch on the Wakulla River, and paddled upstream to the fence blocking the entrance to Wakulla Springs, then paddled back.  A pleasant 3.5 hour trip.

The Kid now wants his own boat

I'll admit to having reservations, but the boat was very stable and comfortable.  We saw manatee, gar, bass, and a species that is prevalent on that river; Wakullius Redneckius.  These can be easily identified by their tattoos, lots of flesh, smoking, loud voices, and usually playing some sort of music.


Anyhoo, I doubt that kayaking will replace cycling in my recreational pursuits list.  At least not anytime soon.  But I'm looking for something The Lovely Wife and I can do together since we will soon be "empty nesters".  She loves the coast, me, not so much.  So we'll try this again, see how it goes in some more open water.


This is the view from the back seat

I can put up with almost anything as long as there's beer and seafood at the end of the day.

Photo by Big Jim, notice how The Lovely Wife managed to get the paddle in front of her face

1 comment: