Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Little Break

I took some time off from blogging.  Mostly due to a lack of motivation on my part.  I am surprised I didn't get any requests wanting to know what had happened.  All five of you must have had plenty to read lately.

Keeping Cross Weird

Silk and I got up eeeeeearly on a cool Sunday morning to make it to the Macon Octoberfest CX race. He insisted on driving, which was nice, but I will admit to my confidence being shattered when the first thing he says as I get in his truck is: "In the interest of full disclosure my check engine light came on yesterday.  It's probably nothing though."  And it wasn't, but it added to my pre race jitters.

Silk drives like it's a race so we made it to the venue with a whole 20 minutes to spare.  I raced first and since it was in the mid 40's I had a bit of a hard time warming up.  Plus there were the digestive issues of getting up early and riding in a truck for 3 hours.  I won't go into detail, those of you who have experienced this get it.


Muddy bike, they ran us back and forth across a ditch



Anyhoo, the track was fast with some great flow, and mostly flat.  I got 8/22 in the cat 4/5 35+ which didn't disappoint me too much.  Silk got 2nd in the cat 1 35+ after an exciting race.  He says he has some things he needs to work on but I don't know about that.  We hung around and watched the rest of the races, even doing some polite heckling.  It sounded like we were the only ones, it was a calm crowd.



We hit a Moe's on the way home and since Silk was driving I decided to get some extra beer at a Jr. store.  It was a good day.

Fireball 50

I didn't decide to go to this event until the day before.  We had planned to race in Atlanta but that fell through, and as it turned out, that was a good thing.

The ride was billed as a 50 mile MTB ride in the ANF.  The hook that got me interested in going was the fact that there was going to be a keg in the woods about 10 miles from the finish.  Silk and Shank had also decided to go so off we went on a clear 48 degree October morning.

Someone had done a bunch of work, the bushy sections I had ridden during the summer had been trimmed, logs had been ramped, and turns were marked with ribbon.  As I've said before, I love riding the ANF, and this day was turning out to be one of the best.  Our group pace was steady without much testosterone and we found the keg almost untouched. 

There's something about a beer before lunch out in the woods, on a clear fall day.  To say the least, the 10 mile ride back to the truck was interesting.

Now I've promoted events before and I know how hard it is to get something like this to work.  I estimate there were at least 50 riders that started the ride and I'm willing to bet not one of them had a bad time.  It was a no pressure, fun day, and I hope to do something like it again.

Tallycross

Is this weekend.  Two days of cross without any travel.  I'm pumped.  The Kid is coming home and plans to race both days.  The weather is going to be cold (for us).  Plus Halloween is Friday night. 

Does it really get any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment