Thursday, April 7, 2016

Searching For My Lost Shaker of Salt

I took a week off with The Lovely Wife for spring break.  We usually head for the Smokies during these vacations but this year she was reluctant to go.  Something about the fact that she didn't want to have to listen to me bitch and complain about not being able to hike and bike.  She was right (as usual).  I'm not much of a sit on the porch or drive around in the car kind of guy.  I would have been miserable in my current condition.

So, we had a staycation.  I caught up on 6 months worth of yard work I haven't been able to do, was able to go riding most days (it's amazing how many people can get time off to ride in the middle of a work week), and we ate out someplace different every night.  I made it my priority to sample a Margarita at every place we patronized.  If this is what retirement looks like I'm in trouble.


Let Me Tell You About My Leg

Funny, people will ask me how I'm doing and when I begin to tell them I can watch their eyes glaze over.  I get it.  Now when they ask I just say "fine, getting better".  They look relieved.

I still dream about running.  If I can get to point where I can run again I'm going to be like Forest Gump.

No Race?

I bailed on the first race of the GSC mountain bike series.  My fitness is okay, I can surely do 13 miles, I wouldn't win but I don't think I'd be embarrassed.  No, it's in my head.  I still haven't fallen off the bike since the Big Crash.  Even though I rarely fell in races, my fear level is so high I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it.  If it was just me out there it'd be no problem, but add other riders to the mix and I get very nervous.  I hate it because it's like admitting defeat, I had this date set for me to be fully recovered and I'm not there.

Havana Hills

Anyhoo, Silk, Lil Ball and I went for a road ride last Sunday.  It was an Instagram day.  Blue sky's, green trees, and crazy people in the road.  I knew something funny was up when a pickup slowed down to yell "watch out, there's a crazy man in the road up ahead".  

We looked at each other like "what the hell?"  We'd peek over the top of every hill.  Then a motorcycle stopped and said "ya'll watch out, there's a crazy man in the road up there, we called the law, be careful".

When we got to a spot where I thought we could bypass Mr. Crazy we took it.  Lil Ball seemed disappointed but agreed it was the prudent thing to do.  Silk pulled over to take a nature break while Lil Ball and I rolled slowly.  Suddenly at the bottom of the next hill there stood a man in the road. We both put on the brakes, looked at each other, and watched the man.......... go get his mail.  Danger averted we finished the ride.  Beer and sandwiches followed on the veranda of Oscars in Beautiful Downtown Havana.  That is how every ride should end.



No comments:

Post a Comment