Friday, September 3, 2010

Don't Worry Be Happy



It started last Sunday with the Green Coffee Bean ride at Forest Meadows. While not as big of a crowd as we had last time the 15 riders split up into two groups with one planning on riding a more aggressive pace than the other. I had invited a friend along whom I was hoping would get bitten by the mountain bike bug so he, Rupe, and I went with the more mellow group.




We all made it back to the parking lot in one piece, no crashes, everybody made it up all the hills, and there were grins all around. My friend had had enough so Rupe and I planned to go on a little less mellow ride. We should have quit while we were ahead. My buddy wanted to ride my bike before he went home so he hopped on, clipped in, rode 10 feet, and fell over like a ton of bricks. Fortunately he was out of sight of everybody else as he rolled around on the ground like he'd broken a hip (which I thought he might have). He recovered but I doubt he got bitten by anything other than red bugs.




After my fallen comrade loaded up Rupe and I hooked up with three other guys and went on some illegal single track which was a blast. I'd never ridden this trail before. I know, I know we shouldn't have done it and I don't have a good excuse but it was really a good ride. What you've never done it?




Tuesday I went on the Higher Ground ride to TB and met another group of nice folks. Todd even offered to buy us all ice cream at the end of the ride. That guy knows how to run a business.




Wednesday was at TB again with Rupe. It was the first week night he'd had off since school started and he was anxious to ride. I had to work to stay with him he was like a bird dog that had just been let out of the pen. We had to cut our ride a little short as I developed mechanical issues and could only ride in granny.




TB again on Thursday with Terry's Kids. It was great to see him on a bike and the ride was enjoyable. That group has some impressive skills or is it just that I don't have any skills, anyway I kept asking "did you ride up that?" To which they would smile at me like you do a kid who just asked about Santa Clause and say wise things like "just pull on the front end and let it roll over" or while looking at my cassette say "looks like you've still got a few more gears to use". I do appreciate their help and patience as I tag along.
It was actually 69 degrees this morning. It's a cruel joke that as the weather gets better the days get shorter.


1 comment:

  1. That last paragraph made me laugh a little. It's good having you out there.

    ReplyDelete