Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Toe the Line




I tried not to let the bicycle thing get competitive. I really did. I kept telling myself and any one else who would listen that I was just in it for the fresh air and fun. But every now and then I would catch myself looking at race articles on the Internet, asking questions about pacing, and getting advice from more accomplished riders on clearing certain obstacles. I would ride behind people and measure my speed (mostly lack of it) and stamina then tell myself that "I was just curious". All of the while repeating the mantra that racing didn't matter, that I was not one of "those types" when it came to bicycling. You see in the past I had let the urge to compete taint my motorcycling to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore and I didn't want to head down that path with this new hobby.








So it was with a certain amount of dread and anxiety that I toed the line Sunday morning for the first round of the Florida State Series. I had been waking up at 3:00 in the morning visualising laps around Tom Brown every night the week before and despite all my self analysis I had no idea how I would stack up against the 16 other 50+ base riders. Would they just leave me in the dust? Would I be fighting for last place? Would I puke?








Then the starter said "5 seconds" and I almost peed my pants but when the whistle blew and I started pedaling I felt almost calm. Almost. I had listened to TC when he told me to go hard at first but these guys (and one lady) seemed to be just cruising. So when Steve and Frank went by I took off after them. The root section on Cadillac that TC and CS had helped me with went by like it was nothing. The pace felt good and I was pumped to be in third. Before Kudzilla I moved into second and stayed there the rest of the first lap. On the multi-use after the rock creek crossing I lost a place just before going onto Cadillac. At this point I was getting tired and started having trouble passing people. Then two riders collided on the approach to the roots after the bridge right in front of me and there was no where for me to go. I watched second place disappear through the trees.








By the time I started the climb on Magnolia my back was hurting and I was getting a little queasy so I decided to settle for third. Which really wasn't much of a choice since it was all I could do just to pedal.








I don't see how anybody could do 3 laps or more! I have raced off road motorcycles for 28 years and this was one of the hardest things I've ever done on two wheels. But it was one of the most fun. I'm embarrassed by my little fist pump when I crossed the line, an old man getting excited about getting a third in the oldest and slowest class in a little bicycle race, but I couldn't help it.








I had a blast and Rupe and I could easily get hooked on this. He also finished third in his class and I've never seen him enjoy a competitive sport so much. It was cool both of us getting on the box in our classes in the same event. Gone Riding does a great job making the event fun and the Higher Ground guys added to the festival like atmosphere. We're planning on going to the second round in Fernandina in a couple of weeks and try some trails we've never ridden before.






In retrospect I guess not everybody wants to line up and race and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of people who didn't race Sunday that are much better riders than I am. I guess in the end once a racer always a racer and no matter how old or slow I get there's a certain thrill that goes along with lining up with other people and having somebody say GO!

1 comment:

  1. Racing is a funny thing, and a lot of folks don't get it. Fast or slow, I don't care, I just like riding. My bikes have taken me to places all around the country; places I never would have seen otherwise. Through bikes, I've met some amazing people. Racing tells me things about myself, that I might never have discovered through other venues. Racing is just one more flavor of riding, and I like most all of them. Keep mixing it up, and it stays fresh.

    Congrats to you and your son. It's always good to see locals on the box, at Tom Brown!

    ReplyDelete