Monday, October 4, 2010

Tree Hugger












At the Gone Riding XC race at Hailes Trails this past weekend they ran us through a culvert that had a low hanging limb before the entrance and another one after you came out. Frank F. was close enough behind me that I could see him through the trees so I'm sure that and my blazing speed had an effect on what happened. I knew the limb was there because we had ridden the trail the day before and it was the second lap of the race. I ducked for the first limb, stayed low for the culvert, then raised my head just in time to catch the second limb with the front of my helmet. That knocked me off the back of the bike but not before turning me to the right and straight into a large oak tree. It's funny what a full grown man will do when faced with the possibility of loosing a $3 medal. My only thought was to grab the bike and get up before Frank got there. I don't even remember checking to see if I was bleeding. My gosh man I could have lost 4th place in the 50+ base class! By all means get up quick!





There were so many other places on that course to further show off my remarkable abilities on a mountain bike what with all the rock climbs and descents around the quarry it was stupid to make an error in that simple culvert section. I mean the first hill after the start was like watching puppies on a tile floor. I knew we weren't going to make it because the class in front of us was still on the hill when we got there. I know I know I should have been in the lead then I wouldn't have had a problem but I had a different strategy in mind. Unfortunately that strategy didn't include Steve A. and two other riders (including the lady that hugged me last weekend) blazing by me while I struggled to get around stalled and floundering riders. I never saw them again.





All in all it was a great day. The weather was almost perfect. Rupe got a 5th in his race so he got one of those precious little medals. The swag from Super Cool Bike Shop was, well, cool even down where we were in the standings.




As I sat on the line waiting for my race to start I could see the Gatorback MX track next door. I thought back to my first dirt bike race there in 1974. Had it really been 36 years since two buddies and I drove into those pits in a green Ford van with green shag carpeting and Grand Funk blasting "We're an American Band" on the eight track? I won a trophy in that race, which was my first race, and my first trophy. From that day on I have been hooked on two wheels. And I never hear Grand Funk without thinking about that day. Life is so cool!
Kawasaki 175 sometime in 1974

No comments:

Post a Comment