Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tour of Amsterdam





It went well on the site in lap of the Amsterdam trail. We came up with 26 miles total and were able to average 10 mph without pushing it. That includes a couple of breaks so that works out to about 2 and a half hours on the trail. Fortunately it got the Big Jim seal of approval. I needed an outside opinion of how the route would work and wanted to make sure it was entertaining but not overly difficult. I know Jim would have liked 26 miles of single track but he seemed pleased with the two track and graded roads the land offers. It has quite a few gently rolling hills, my Garmin showed 3500 ft. of climbing which is not bad for south Georgia. Rupe went along for the ride even though these long non technical rides aren't really his thing he was glad he went. I believe this will be a fun event and an excellent fund raiser for the kids at Shands. The date for the ride is tentatively set for February 26. I'm excited and am looking forward to seeing how this all works out.
Saturday night I attended a little get together for WB at a local Mexican restaurant with other members of the local cycling community. I know I've mentioned it before but this is really a nice group of people. I just wish I wasn't always the oldest person there. I know there has to be other riders out there closer to my age and I can think of a couple but I don't see them out riding very often.


In fact I don't know many people of any age that do what we do. Right now think of the people around you. What are they talking about doing over the past weekend? Let's see, I hear some football talk (watching not playing), deer hunting, yard work, golf, and some church activities. All of these are perfectly fine ways to spend time but they aren't really conducive to an active life style are they? I quit telling them what I do years ago. When I did talk about it they'd just give me a strange look and say something like "why would you want to do that; ride 26 miles on a bicycle, in the woods?" Well, to each his own, as John Prine says "I could have 1000 friends and all I'd have to change is my point of view". Well, maybe not 1000.

1 comment:

  1. I remember a guy asking me once "what do you do for fun". When I said I'm into cycling he looked at me like I had lost my mind and said "you find that fun". Of course he was really old...like around 54.

    ReplyDelete