Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Rude Awakening



I like to read stories about long distance cycling. Trans Rockies, TNGA, the Leadville 100, all spark my imagination. I sometimes wonder if I could do something even close to that kind of mileage. Well at about mile 55 of the Dirty Spaghetti this past Saturday I got my answer.





It was a perfect day with temps in the 50's when we rolled out of the parking lot. Of course we didn't go to the check in like we were supposed to, or the mass start, so we got out ahead of most of the off road crowd. In fact I was the only one who put on their assigned number in my little group of outlaws. The graded roads had just had the ditches pulled so they were a little soft and still damp from the previous week's rain but other than that conditions were perfect. We played a new (to me) game of yellow sign tagging and basically just rolled at a pleasant pace.


The lunch stop in Boston came up just in time and we were almost the first ones there. It was a bigger pack leaving lunch as we had gotten in with a faster group that was riding the 85 mile option so I got to experience getting my elbows rubbed and my front tire almost taken out as they passed me. Since we were early for the 60 mile group we missed the sag stop after lunch. I hadn't refilled my water at lunch so at mile 50 my camel back went dry. It was about then that the stronger, faster, younger, and more experienced riders started to pull away from me. I told my legs to pedal but they wouldn't listen. I watched three of them disappear over the hills. I dropped down to the middle ring and sat up to enjoy the scenery for the last 10 miles.


So I got my answer. I finished the 62 mile option but I don't think I could have gone much further. Part of the 85 mile group came in just after I did, 20 more miles and in almost the same time. Oh well; the sky was blue the sun was warm, the beer was sweet, the spaghetti was excellent, and we all ate it on the porch like so many dogs after a long hunt. My knees were sore and my sit bones tender but other than that no lasting damage. I know I won't take that honkin back pack again.


I now have even more respect for those long distance riders. I can't imagine doing something like that for a couple of days in a row while sleeping on the ground, and climbing mountains. Once again I have been humbled.


"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need" The Rolling Stones

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the flattering picture...NOT.

    I thought you did great. You learned a valuable BC lesson that day. No matter the ride, at some point someone is going to lay a challenge down. The key is to be ready for it.

    Looking forward to seeing you at the Dirty Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it, Jim's right. That's your first experience at distance, and you did great. Some of us have 20 years of miles in the legs, so the body knows it can do it, it just may not be too comfortable. Besides, if it was easy, what would be the point? We'll do a few more of these long rides, and then Felasco won't be such a shock to your system. The avg speeds come way down for that one, as it's almost 1/2 singletrack, and if you ask Ron, it's all uphill. ;-) I usually average about 10-11mph at Felasco, so expect to be in the saddle for about 30-45 minutes longer than we were at the Spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a thought, maybe we should get a little more serious about doing Fools Gold in 2011; the 50 miler, not the 100. If we get Silk on board, we could get him. to lay out the training plans. We have until August. Maybe some GA races in the spring, and then segue into distance over intensity...

    That would be a reasonable challenge for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post.

    Fools Gold 2011 is a goal of mine. These long dirt road rides are excellent for Fools Gold. They put a decent beat down on your upper body too.

    ReplyDelete