Thursday, February 24, 2011

Not My Cup of Tea

The Santos 12 hour race (or in my case 4 hour) wasn't what I was expecting. Yes it was hard, I didn't think they'd use so much of the expert only Vortex section, yes there were a lot of riders entered, and yes trying to ride 6 hours solo was tiring. But what really got to me besides these things was the bordom of riding the same loop 5 times. The temptation to stop as I rode by our sag was too great. I would have much rather just ridden the 38 miles in one big loop.





To add insult to my weak performance the kid managed to put in one more lap than I did. This is the first time he's ever beaten me in a straight up race and now he never fails to rub it in whenever the subject comes up. So there it is, the trail didn't really beat me, bordom did. Anyhoo that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. As BJS said when I was whinning to him about it "well, now you know".





It took me a couple of days to recover from my little mileage. I can't imagine how it felt for those riders who did the 12 hour solo. Let me say I am truly impressed with the effort I witnessed, epecially as it got dark. IF I ever try one of these again I think the team thing would be more fun.








Amsterdam


I don't know why I do some of the things I do. What on earth possesed me to want to promote this poker run on Amsterdam? I've arrowed 27 miles of trail and worried about the logistics of this ride until I wake up at 4:00 in the morning thinking about it. Clever reminded me after listening to me complain that I've done this all before. Taken something I enjoy and made a job out of it.



Cemetary Hill





Oh well it's too late to worry about it now. If you've ever attempted something like this you understand the pressure to provide your customers with an enjoyable experience. Even though there are many variables such as weather, other events, and just the economy in general that you can't control you still hope everybody has a good time. That being said different people expect different things from their riding experience and with the diverse range of talent that I'm trying to appeal to it's difficult to make one trail fit everybody.





Just After the Old Railroad Headed Toward the Cemetary


After all it's all for charity, the meal at the end is great, and the scenery is beautiful. So what if the fast guys happen to catch the ATVs, or somebody gets a little lost, or if it's not challenging, or if it's too challenging, or it gets a little muddy, I hope everbody just sits back, takes a look around, and is just happy to be in the woods.




2 comments:

  1. The hamster wheel syndrome is the whole reason that Silk won't do those6/12hr races. I've done it as a team, and that was fun, but that was 10-15yrs ago. I may not feel the same way, now.

    I hear ya on trying to guarantee an enjoyable experience for your Amsterdam participants. The BC crew have put on a few races, and it's very stressful, but it was always satisfying to see the smiles afterward. I'm looking forward just to getting to see something new, and as a card carrying clydesdale-and-a-quarter, looking forward to that meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see it now, someone in BC will throw out the "lets see how fast we can complete this" challenge. So much for "just sit back, take a look around, and is just happy to be in the woods"

    ReplyDelete