Sunday, July 24, 2011

Later That Day









Led Zeppelin's Black Dog played on the Gone Riding sound system as I stood looking at the mountains and waiting for PP and Dan K. to finish their race. I had pilfered one of Paul J.'s PBR while he wasn't looking and had a pleasant midday beer buzz going. Ah, nothing like the first days of vacation. I was PUMPED! Not really just because I had won, though that was nice, but the feeling of being done with something I had been working on for a while.





We were staying at the lodge just up the mountain from the race site so we didn't have to drive to the awards banquet that was being held there that afternoon. Plus we had the whole rest of the week off and were staying in the mountains until the following Friday. Can you feel it? Yea, it was good to be me.



We got cleaned up and headed to the lodge's banquet hall. I had asked Paul J. to pick me up a six pack of PBR on his way back from Helen but unfortunately they don't sell beer on Sunday so we resorted to plan B which involved a flask of Jack Daniels and a couple of Cokes. Hey I've done this awards thing before.





I did notice we were the only ones drinking alcohol (at least that I could tell). The food was good. PP and I even went back for seconds. This was the beginning of my 4 pound vacation weight gain.
The awards went quickly. David and Terry Berger do a great job. We got some good swag and were out of there by 4:30 pm. Dan K. was a little reluctant to put on his hoodie and pose for pictures but PP rather forcefully convinced him he should participate.



I had hoped the party would keep going but the cumulative effects of alcohol, food, and racing took their toll on me and after a quiet stroll around the lake we all headed back to our rooms and crashed.



Paul J., Dan K., and PP headed back to Tallahassee the next day while we messed around Helen. After lunch at the Troll restaurant next to the river we drove up to N. C. and checked into our log cabin. I have vacation stories and pictures. I almost can't help myself, I have to post them. Yea I know, it's like a bad joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment