Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Time Is Here











When I walked out onto the back porch this morning to feed my dog I could hardly breathe it was so humid. The thermometer said 81. Really? At 6:00 in the morning? I love the long day light and the fact that everybody in my house is out of school but I'm ready for summer to be done. Maybe it's the constantly wet gear. Or the way my truck is starting to smell. Or the half gallon of water I have to drink every morning before I have my coffee just so I can start to re hydrate. Or, maybe it's the pictures of France from the TDF with all that crystal blue sky and cold creeks. Anyhoo, if it didn't get this hot and ugly down here there'd be more people living here than there already are. So, I'll quit whining for now. And yes, my dog lives outside, and yes, she's happy about it.







Let's see, we did a semi crew ride Saturday morning from Zone 5. It was almost a repeat of the ride we did Monday only at a little harder pace and with some different faces. Then there was the dirty 30 of ZB's Sunday morning. Uh, that was fun? I guess it was really. It was a 2 minute lap of two track that we rode for 30 minutes plus 2 laps. It seemed like we rode for an hour. Round and round like a hamster in a cage. It was hard but when I finally stopped I realized I had kinda enjoyed it. I'm sure I won the over 50 class since I was the only old guy left riding at the end (there were no classes). I got lapped at least once. B made the mistake of listening to BW and HWB and blew up about midway through, but even he said he had a good time. We rolled some easy single track after the "race" and then headed to Los Amigos for tacos. Ahhh, there's nothing like XX's beer and tacos at 11:00 on a Sunday morning. We giggled like school boys. Good times!








Munson Monday was weird. We had a big group that got broken up pretty quick. B and I were on the single speeds and were only up for a mellow ride. Somehow we managed to get sucked into the lead group and went out on Twilight. Another hard ride, but I didn't have as much fun on this one. I'm starting to see a pattern with regards to how much enjoyment I get out of certain rides. Interesting.










This weekend is the last GSC race of the year. It's been fun and I hope B and I get to do it again next year. This series has the best trails (in my opinion). Not having a race to prep for will be different but we have the Fools Gold in August then the Florida series starts in September in Tallahassee. My first race in the sport class; I can't wait. I'll send in a race recap on the GSC in Helen when we get back. I know, you just can't wait.








I'm starting to get the urge for a new XC race bike. Who am I kidding, I always have the urge for a new bike. Maybe sometime in September? The shopping and the dreaming is almost as much fun as the buying isn't it? I'm hung between big wheels and regular ones. Suspension is a must due to my advanced age. I like the way my 29" SS sits but something 25 lbs. or less with 26" wheels might be the best bet. Or it might not. Oh well, I've got plenty of time to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment