Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Humbled




After Saturday that's how I felt. Humbled and tired. As I stood in the pouring rain, having just finished the Fools Gold 50 mile mountain bike race, in Dahlonega Ga. I didn't think I'd ever want to do that again. That was hard, one of the 5 hardest things I've ever done on 2 wheels. Even sitting here in my nice cool office I can close my eyes and see those trails going up, and up, and up. Then down, so steep my arms almost cramped from gripping the bars so tight. To top it off it was 53 miles instead of 50. Which doesn't seem like a big deal unless you've been watching your odometer for the LAST 10 MILES, thinking you only had to ride 50! Of course the last 3 were all up hill, on pavement, and in the rain.













Does it sound like I didn't have a good time? Quite the contrary, I had a blast. The crew I went with were perfect traveling companions. Except for not setting up the tent like they were supposed to and then sitting in the warm dry truck while I stood, shivering, muddy, and wet, in the driving cold mountain rain. I can still see Jim's smiling face through the windshield every time the wipers went "swish". But you know, they were faster than me, (much faster) so I guess they deserved to be comfortable. You'd think an older gentleman like myself would catch a break every now and then wouldn't you? I've been called worse; but "Mr. Norman" by the people you've just been riding with? That doesn't seem right.








I love road trips where somebody else tells me when and where we're going. I like big groups at dinner, beers and margaritas, funny stories, and of course, being in the mountains. I knew that by today I'd be ready to do it again. The pain has a way of fading from memory and the good times surface. I learned a lot about hydration and eating during events of this length. I had not been doing it right and the Endurolyte (sp?) pills really helped with keeping the cramps away.






Jim gets carded at dinner.









Only 28 old guys (50+) started the race. I finished 13th. I don't think I could do much better. I could walk Sunday and felt fine. I like only having to think about racing my bike, where we're going to eat, and the way the first beer will taste after the ride. You can feel the adult responsibilities slowly settle back on your shoulders when you get home. That's when you start looking forward to next year.








2 comments: