Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Don't Know About This





Steve A. looked skeptical as I told him I was going out for another lap of the Silk Torture Loop at Forest Meadows last Saturday. We had both done around 36 miles and, of course, he had completed his a half hour faster than I had. "It's awful hot to be doing this the week before a 50 mile race" he cautioned. Mark, Brian, Don, and Paul had already packed it in by this time. I should have listened to Steve A.







We were preparing for the Fools Gold race in Dahlonega Ga. which is this weekend. The temperature was 97 degrees and the loop had about as much elevation change as you can get in Tallahassee Fl. Jim, Steve A., and Rick had left us behind quickly after the sight in lap and after the first full lap I was riding alone. I had decided to run water bottles instead of my usual Camelback even though I knew from experience I didn't drink enough with just bottles. I had my heart monitor plugged in so I could watch my heart rate and not go out too hard. I had gels and other space type eats stuffed in my jersey pockets. I had let the faster guys go and so I didn't get sucked into their pace. I thought I was prepared.







At that 36 mile mark I had stopped at my truck to refill my water bottles. One pair of gloves was soaked and I was working on another. I had drained 2 full bottles that lap compared to only one the first lap. I was tired, but I have to admit that seeing Steve A. had stopped gave me a little inspiration to go on. You see, Steve A. is a very competitive rider. He's beaten me at every event we have entered and he's the only one in the crew who is even close to my age. So I'll be damned if I was gonna drop out.





As you finished the first half lap of Red Bug there was a little hill you had to climb to get back to the multi use. It was only two miles from my truck; 38 miles into the ride. As I got to the top of the climb both thigh muscles cramped. And I mean they locked up. I should have turned around and gone back. Heck I should have listened to Steve A. and not even started that lap. Instead I figured they would work themselves out on the down hill. Wrong again. By the time I made it back to Red Bug I was pushing up some of the climbs.





When I got back to the truck everyone else except Blake had gone. He rolled in a half hour later, no cramps, and having done a full 50 miles. We had missed the planned after ride lunch as I think everyone else had.





After I got home I started re hydrating, elevated my legs, and cramped so bad I couldn't get up off the couch. Blake thought it was sooooo funny as I yelled and hopped around trying to get the muscle to let go. The next day I could barely walk.





With some good advice regarding supplements and post cramp rides I am feeling much better (I know you were concerned). Maybe just maybe, I'm not as awesome as I think I am. After all I'm not 45 anymore. I really thought I had ruined my Fools Gold trip. They say there's no fool like an old fool and I usually prove that right.








Temperature in the mountains this weekend looks like it will be at least 10 degrees cooler than here. I have bottles and packets of pills to ward off the evil crampage. I will take my Camelback and drink all the time. I will take it easy on the big climb after the start. I'm sure there will be a few rock gardens and shelf trail that will cause me to squeal like a girl. I will have a good time. I am so pumped!

3 comments: