Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Let's Go Exploring





Silk uttered these words as we met at the St. Marks trail head last Sunday afternoon. Like music to my ears! It was a spur of the moment ride, I had other plans for the morning and was hoping someone else would want to go in the afternoon. B is getting to the point where just riding with his dad isn't as fun as it used to be, imagine that.




The previous nights rain had made the other trail options a little damp so when Silk mentioned Munson we jumped at the idea. The fact that he wanted to go exploring and not just ride laps made my day. I just wish we had planned it earlier in the week so I could have looked forward to. Anticipation can be part of the fun. I know that's weak but at my age, ya know, you take what you can get.





Anyhoo, we turned right at the bench at the intersection on Munson and began our exploration ride, and what a ride it was. I hesitate to tell you exactly where we went. I know that's rude but some of the ride was on, shall we say, less established trail. But I had been there before. Many years ago in another incarnation, on a different vehicle. As we rolled I had flash backs to a less regulated time, when you could ride where you wanted. Before the days of the dreaded four wheeler. Many dusty, sandy, Sunday afternoons were spent on these trails. I could even remember certain turns and what I was riding the last time I was there. I hooped and hollered like a kid as we pedaled. I had figured B would never get to see these trails since they became unavailable before he was able to ride. When I asked him if he was having fun he replied "I'm finally getting to ride these". Like most old men apparently I talk a lot about "back in the day" so he had heard stories about this area before.




We got a bit lost towards the end but came out right where we needed to. Three hours for B and I, Silk had ridden to the trail head, so he still had another hour to get home, so we called it a day. I could have ridden till dark. I was so excited about the ride I had to call Big Worm the next day, not to gloat, (although that's what he thought I was doing) but to share my excitement. The best part about this is there's more down there that we didn't ride, a lot more I think. We'll be back.




1 comment: