Sunday, July 1, 2012

I'm Not Missing a Thing

Except the last 4 miles of the Wednesday Chaires Ride.  Yep, the old legs just stopped working, even though I had been "sitting in" for 51 of the 54 miles of the ride.  If you've ever had that happen you know how frustrating it is to be telling your legs "pedal dammit" and they just barely turn the cranks.

I owe BJS for this humiliating beat down, turns out he chose the route for my first Chaires ride.  This road ride goes off every Wednesday during the long summer and has a reputation of being hard.  It was, at least for me, so why did BJS pick 54 miles of torture to initiate me?  Could it be payback for the humiliation he suffered during the Micosukee sign sprint a couple of months ago?

I did learn a few things during the 2+ hours we rode through the rolling hills of Leon and Jefferson counties.  One is, the larger the person in front of you the better the draft is behind them.  Two, some riders have a smooth pedal stroke so you don't get treated like a Slinky at the back.  Three, it's not always easy being the tail end.  Four, it's frustrating to watch the group disappear into the distance.

I'll do it again though not during a pre race week or a recovery week. Maybe if I had been doing this type of ride earlier in the OMTP I wouldn't be sitting in third behind Santa and Clydsdale.

1 comment:

  1. That was a challenging look and I'm still impressed you gung on for 50 miles. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete