Tuesday, July 10, 2012

There Must Be Some Kinda Way Outta Here

I was having a hard time getting up for this past weekend's XC race in Macon, Ga.  The forecast was for temperatures in the upper 90's and that just didn't sound like mountain bike racing weather. Maybe  a little burnout is starting to settle in even though I'm not going over my recommended cycling hours in the OMTP and heck this was only the 4th race out of 6.  Still, as I lay awake in my Hampton Inn hotel room on Sunday morning I had to remind myself why I do this.

Anyhoo, we loaded up the new roof rack Saturday morning and headed out.  Even though it was the week of the 4th of July traffic was about normal for I-75.  It was 97 degrees at Arrowhead Park when we kitted up for our practice lap.  The trail was mostly machine built, a lot of loose off camber corners, and some steep punchy climbs.  Nothing technical, almost perfect for my lack of skills, except I couldn't get comfortable.

The kid and I had signed up for the short track race at 5:00, having no idea how it would work.  Ever done one?  We hadn't either.  It went like this; line up all the white wave riders, say go, climb a steep paved road for what seemed like a mile, turn right onto single track, descend the same distance that we just climbed, get back on the paved road, repeat for 10 minutes plus 1 lap.  My thighs were on fire before I got to the top of the first climb.  All three of my "friends" from the 50+ sport class were there and all three were ahead of me.  For that matter so was the kid.  My only moment of redemption came when I passed Santa at the top of the hill on the last lap.  I really thought I'd do better than that but 3 out of 4 was all I had in me.  It said 103 on the Subaru thermometer when we got done.  I already felt like I had done a XC race and it had only been 13 minutes.

It didn't get much cooler over night.  On the line at 11:30 Sunday morning we got the option to go 2 instead of 3 laps.  I voted for 2.  It was a good move.  We all got off the line without incident and began that paved road climb from Saturday.  I just wanted to stay with my group of "friends" and not let anybody get in between us.  Of course a local jumps in the middle of things, then goes down in the first corner of single track.  I just barely miss running over him but after we got by all that our little foursome formed the conga line we've had the whole series and settled in.

I may not be much of a cyclist but I raced moto for 25+ years, I know how to race.  If you're faster than me, I'll let you by, especially early in the race.  Just ask.  By this point in the series we pretty much know who we're racing against.  So I was a little surprised by an inside move by a rider I've been beating all year.  Like I said, just ask.  Of course he faded on the first set of climbs and after I passed him I never saw him again.  I even let my closest rival by, heck, it's just the kind of guy I am.

Ah, my rival, I used to call him FRSS (fully ridgid single speed) even though he hasn't ridden that since the first race.  I settled in behind him (I do a lot of settling) and we started to gain on second place, Santa was long gone in first.  I started to hear FRSS grunt every now and then.  He started going wide on turns.  I politely eased by him at the top of one of those short punchy climbs and tried to catch second place.  After a few minutes of that silliness I decided it wasn't worth dieing for so I focused on just staying alive and in third.

In the end I was happy with third, it was sooooooo hot.  I don't think any of us could have done another lap.  The kid had some new riders in his class and ended up fourth, along with his first taste of cramps at the finish.  I bet that's the last time he laughs at me as I scream and hop around when I get up off the couch after a day on the bike.

So why do I do this?  Is it because I get to spend the weekend with my family?  Is it getting to share something with my 16 year old son?  Is it the challenge of doing something difficult?  Is it the opportunity to push myself a little beyond my comfort level?  Is it meeting new people my age who like to do something besides play golf, fish, and watch football?  Of course you've figured out it's all of the above.  Even though I may not meet my original goal of a top three series finish look at all the other stuff I got instead.  And that's why I do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment