Thursday, September 27, 2012

Clay

 
 
I love it.  Especially this time of year. 

 
 
What I really like though is to go where we haven't been before.  I want people to say "how do you know about these roads?".  I like to get a little lost.  It amazes me how you could have lived in Tallahassee all your life and never been to Fowlstown Ga., just 30 miles away.  So when I get to plan the ride I get all giddy.



Yea sure I get a little overzealous with the mileage when I lay out the route.  I may even lie just a bit about the roll time.  On the Fowlstown ride we did last weekend I may have agreed to 3.5 hours the night before.  Knowing full well BJS and I had done a similar ride and finished in 4.5. 

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1630222

The Kid knew something was up when we were 2 hours in and still heading away from Beautiful Downtown Havana.  He looked at me skeptically and asked "how long is this ride supposed to be?" "Not too much further" I replied, "look at that view".   I began to hear rumblings from some of the crew.  It was after all a home game for FSU and someone had to get back and get prepared (means he had to start drinking).  Some body's foot was hurting.  Sometimes it's like riding with children.


 
 

I just kept pedaling and hollering out turns.  We found some mud, mean dogs, a cardboard box, and plenty of cotton fields.  The box caused a minor crash on a road section.  Funny how crashes are minor when you 're not in them.  We assessed blame, fixed the bikes, oohed and awed about the blood, then continued on our way.  Some skin, a wheel, and a pair of kitty kat socks were all that was damaged.



I just get so excited when my friends come over to play in my neighborhood.  We finished in 4 hours.  Sandwiches, pasta, and beer were consumed when we got back to Beautiful Downtown Havana.



There's so much more out there to ride.  I have all these trips in my head.  They're all less than 3 hours, honest.





2 comments:

  1. It was a great ride. I don't think I cried or wimmpered once...unlike the first time I rode this route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely up for more of your adventures, even when my ankle isn't, and even when my friends forget how to call out obstacles the size of igloo coolers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete