Monday, September 24, 2012

I've Been Thinkin'



I've been thinking a lot lately about "the last time".    Let me give you some examples:

How about; the last time you carried your kid up to bed after they fell asleep on the couch.

Or the last time you spent time with an old friend that you had been seeing regularly, but then lost touch.

Or the last time your kid yells "dad's home" (happily) when you walk in the door.

What about the last time you played a game with your mom or dad. 

Like most things go we don't know what the next day holds, in fact we're not even guarrenteed a "next day".  So I have to remind myself to enjoy the moment, the right now.  Someday Isle is a fantasy place.  Better to do it today if you can.  Spend every day like it was a piece of gold.


Whoa, sorry to be so morose.  It's raining and dark outside, the summer's almost over, and the run to the end of the year from here always seems to go so fast. 

Oh, sorry, I did it again. 



Maybe it's because in my line of work the process of growing trees is so long term I'm reminded about the passage of time more frequently.  We're harvesting trees I planted when I started with this company 25 years ago.  I can remember when I planted them like it was last week.  The trees we're planting now will be somebody else's to deal with.  That's another one of those rude awakenings that come up unexpectedly after you reach a certain age.  How about retirement?  Scary huh?





I know it will catch up with me one day, after all there's a reason only 27 50+ riders rode Fools Gold.  I guess I should just grow up?

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya on trying to experience the "now". It seems to me that whenever life gets its most complicated, is when I focus the most on what to do about my future. When in reality, that's probably the most important time to remember to enjoy, right now.

    ReplyDelete