Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Comes a Time

 


Halloween, my favorite holiday.  Yea I know it's not really a holiday, but it should be.  I mean we have Columbus Day right.  What did he really do?  And while I'm on this kick it should always be the last Friday of  October not in the middle of the week.

Anyhoo, this year was one of the better nights, even though it was on a Wednesday, we had more trick or treaters than in years past.  Here in my neighborhood in Beautiful Downtown Havana we don't necessarily have a large population of kids that are old enough to trick or treat so kids come from all over the town and the county.  We have gone all out for Halloween for the last 11 years and even if I do say so myself we out did ourselves this year.
 
 

I know it's weird, an old man rubbing zombie make up all over his face and chasing hay wagons full of children.  We don't scare the little kids (at least not on purpose).  The best group to scare is the teen agers.  We had a boy about 13 get spooked after getting his candy, run a little ways down the street, turn around, and say "Hey!  I'm Micheal Jackson, you don't scare me" then bust out in a perfect "Thriller" dance.  He was even dressed the part. 


Now onto cycling related stuff.

Photo by Hook Line and Sinker


Gator has mowed the cross track and we've been putting in laps getting ready for the Tallycross race on the 17th and 18th of November.  I put wider bars and better brakes on the Felt CX bike hoping to redeem myself for the whoppin I took last year.  If they have an over 55 beginner class I may have a chance.
 
Photo by Hook Line and Sinker

 
 
I am so awesome

It's time to bring the lights out for our weekly MTB rides.  I used to look forward to the first night rides of the year but not this time.  With the passing years my night vision gets worse.  Adding lights helps but I still have trouble judging distances.  Like the ones between trees.

The crew did a "tour of parks" ride last weekend.  The theme (you have to have a theme nowadays) was to hit as many parks as we could link together without riding stuff we've ridden before.  It worked ok, once we hit the park we'd take a lap around it on the CX bikes.  However Saturday morning isn't the best time to rail public parks.  I did get to see parts of Tallahassee I'd never seen before.  The highlight was the climb up the deserted parking garage, followed by the race down.

After our last weekend MTB ride we stopped by the new Higher Ground shop.  They've done an amazing job.  I almost feel uncomfortable there it's so nice.  The beer keg and leather couches in front of the big screen TV were calling me.

I stopped by the Supermoto race on Sunday and managed to run into a few of my old moto friends.  It was nice to catch up and watch a little racing.  The smell of race gas brought back good memories.  I'm starting to miss it a little.  That's a bad sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment