Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Nervous



I'm on my second cup of coffee but it's my third trip to the restroom.  Besides the fact that it's a function of getting old, I'm nervous, but also excited.  The dates for the Georgia State Series by Gone Riding are up!  Just four months until the first race.  Uh, excuse me, I gotta take another break.

Ahhh, I'm back.  Anyhoo, I can't believe it's time to start the OMTP again.  I'm tempted to find another type of program since I didn't end up on the box last year.  I just know it was the fault of the plan and not any shortcomings on my part.  Maybe I should change my diet?  How about learning to just get over a log?  Did I just type that?  For 56 (soon to be 57) I'll have to admit I'm pretty awesome but I still have room for improvement.  How about a new bike?  Oh yeah, that sounds good right there.  I have big wheel lust at the moment.  However the Kid has been putting the pressure on me for a new ride also.  But ya know, he's young, he's got plenty of years to get new bikes and race.  I however, may not have as much time.  There's a juicy rationalization.


Tallycross is this weekend.  I've been doing laps at Gator's CX Track.  And yes, it hurts.  But I find myself looking forward to it.  No, I'm not able to keep up with Jim.  Even after he eats a breakfast burrito before he rides. 






I tried yelling "burrito" every time I got close to him but it was to no avail.  Much to my disappointment he didn't puke. 
 
 
 

My only decision about the race this weekend is which class to ride.  The Cat 3 55+, or the Cat 4 open men's.  I'm concerned there may not be enough riders in the 55+ class and I'd have to race in the 45+ class with Jim.  I already know how that will turn out.  The Cat 4 is usually full of guys trying to sandbag, like me.  I'll see what it looks like on Saturday.
 
 



I bumped into a few old moto friends at the Supermoto race a couple of weeks ago.  Then last week I met up with a group who was trail riding just north of Havana.  I spent a lot of weekends with those guys over the years.  I do miss the people, but I don't miss moto.  Not yet.  The Kid says he'd like to do it again one day.  I could be tempted into getting a dual sport bike.  Then I watch while they unload.  Bikes and gear, all on trailers.  Then the apparel; helmet, neck brace, chest protector, jersey, hip pads, knee braces, pants, mx socks, boots, gloves, and goggles.  Fiddle with the bike, some start easy, some don't.  Take off for a 20 minute ride, come back in, sit down and shoot the bull for 30 minutes, fiddle with the suspension, then ride again (maybe).  I did it for 40 years and had a blast most of the time but there's not enough actual riding in it for me.  But I do admit to feeling a slight tug.

There's just not enough time to do everything is there?

2 comments:

  1. Great, now I'm craving a burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of town with grandkids, so look for someone else to beat up on as you race 55+. You did mention "sandbagger". Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete