Wednesday, December 5, 2012

On the Porch



Sitting on the porch at Joanie's in beautiful downtown Havana after a slow recovery ride on the CX bikes with BJS.  Three beers down on a 74 degree afternoon.  Watching the clouds go by.  I love this time of year.



The day before we had done a variation of what we call the Grapevine or Big East loop on MTBs.  Which was very similar to the loop we did the Friday after Thanksgiving.  BW did manage to change it up enough so it didn't seem like a repeat.  We started off at a moderate pace but after losing most of the group BJS made me hate him just a little coming back in on the Greenway.  We finished with free BBQ and free beer at Higher Ground.  I was tired.

Last night's ride was attended by an eclectic group.  Not the regular crew, though some of them were in attendance.  It made for an interesting, if not fast, (for me) ride.  There was drama, crashes, and getting lost.  I'd have to say I enjoyed it.  Maybe because all of those things happened to someone else.

I bought new wheels for the CX bike.  No, it doesn't make much sense to put lighter wheels on a bike I only race maybe 5 times a year, but  I couldn't help myself, all my friends had them.  I'd buy more stuff but there's this thing called Christmas coming up where I'm supposed to spend money on other people.  Shudder.

Anyhoo, the next race is the Gainesville Fl. Swampcross.  BJS and I are going.  At least he says he's going. 

It's time to start getting into XC shape, the first race of the Georgia Series is only 16 weeks away.  I hope to redeem myself after my 4th place series finish last year.  I'm still looking for the perfect coaching plan.  Maybe something that requires beer after long rides.


But until then I hope to have more days on the porch.

Just remember;

Inside every old person there's a young person wondering what the hell happened.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going. As long as it's not too cold; or wet; or gas prices don't get too high, etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete