Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Coast



The Bearded One (TBO) lined up a CX ride to the St. Marks lighthouse.  We both had Good Friday off, the weather was going to be perfect, and he had set up the route on Ride GPS.  I'll admit to being somewhat skeptical about some of the dirt roads he was using, especially since there were gates across them when I checked them out on Google maps.  Oh well, I thought, he's an experienced traveler, he must know something I don't, so I didn't mention my misgivings, I just loaded up in his new vehicle on Friday morning.

A Hint of What Was To Come

"Dammit Norman, I can't believe you didn't bring your glasses!"  "I have no idea how to get to Natural Bridge Road!".  TBO was trying to get his phone to give him directions.  He was getting a little flustered.  I knew how to get there, just not the most direct route from Midtown Tallahassee.  It was at that moment I began to realize that TBO may not have the best sense of direction in the world.  However it was his ride so I just smiled and listened to his phone give him directions to some kind of natural nursery.

We Ride  

We did finally find the Battlefield Park at Natural Bridge, get unloaded, and set out on the bikes.  After a couple of miles we came to the first dirt road turn, I mentioned that it looked like the exit had a gate across it when I checked on Google.  "Why didn't you say something about this before?" TBO asked.  I just shrugged and said "I may be wrong, lets see how far we can get".  About 2 miles as it turns out.  We back tracked to the paved road.
 
 


"We're only going to be on pavement another quarter mile, take a right at the first gate".  Once again I didn't mention that this looked like a private gate, not a gate on the St. Marks refuge.  It was locked so we hopped it.  After a mile or so we came upon another gate, this one marked posted, we headed back to the pavement.
 
 
This was taken by TBO.  He's a pro.

Port Leon

Once on the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge we rode out to the Port Leon site, thinking we might be able to make a loop.  Another dead end.  Another back track along the muddy road.  After TBO checked his phone (remember I didn't have my glasses, I won't make that mistake again) we got on a levy and turned toward the Gulf.
 
"This is where we were supposed to come in"
 
 

The Lighthouse
 

You've all seen it.  It was my first time.  It was worth the trip.  We turned north and with a good tail wind we went back to 98 on the pavement.

Once back in the car, all loaded up, TBO looks at me and says "Now how do we get home"?



Eats

It was a good ride, I'm giving TBO a hard time here but I enjoy it when someone else makes the plans. 

The Lovely Wife and I had dinner at Oscars in Beautiful Downtown Havana that night.  It truly was a Good Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Your first time at the lighthouse?! I find that quite surprising!

    ReplyDelete