Thursday, March 14, 2013

You Get What You Give

 
I improved!  Not by much but it's something.  The OMTP has me testing every 6 weeks with a 20 min. time trial.  I use the same route, same bike, same time of day, and record the results.  I was almost scared to compare it to the last one, what if I didn't improve, did that mean I was actually getting slower?  The results didn't exactly make me feel like I'd hoped.  I even asked my coach if it was real improvement.  She then made me feel silly for even asking.  In the end though she said that yes it was improvement and to stop sweating these little details.


After the test I met my lovely wife and Jim (who according to him had just destroyed the Saturday Charies Ride) at Momos for some tasty beers and pizza.  Apparently Momos had just won some type of award for their own brewed beer called Squirrel Nut Brown.  It was as good to drink as it was fun to order.  And yes, I know beer and pizza is not a good recovery meal, but if Big Jim can do it, I can do it.

Demo

 
Felt had their demo deal at Higher Ground Wednesday so The Kid and I got to sample some carbon fiber toys.  We both rode a 29" hard tail and a dually.  The dually was the Edict Nine One, this was my first extended time on a high end 29er with good suspension and I was very pleased with the way it handled.  Keep in mind I am a goob when it comes to bike set up but I do know what I like.  My only complaint was the pedal bob, even with the shock on pro pedal it was noticeable.  Plus the bike had some big heavy knobs on it so the weight was up.  The hard tail was the $5000 Nine something and I soon realized my butt is too old to ride a hard tail on Overstreet.  I'm still sore today.  Funny thing, the hard tail didn't seem to turn near as well as the dually for either of us.


Race Weekend

It's here.  Individual Time Trial on Saturday and the XC race on Sunday.  Last year at this venue it was 98 degrees so the promoter let the 50+ Sport class go 2 laps instead of the usual 3.  It should only be in the 70's this weekend so it'll be 3 laps for us old guys.  The trail at Macon is not very technical but it does have some steep climbs that came towards the end of the lap last year.  It hurt doing 2, it's going to be interesting doing 3.  Plus I don't know who the players are this year.  The top 3 from last year should have all been promoted to expert so I don't know who to watch for.  We had that all worked out by the end of the season last year which made it fun. 

I'm so excited!







1 comment: