Friday, June 7, 2013

24 Weeks

That's how long I've been on the two versions of the OMTP.  When this is over I won't know what to do with my afternoons and weekends.  I admit I have enjoyed the structure, whether it has helped me improve to the level I'd hoped remains to be seen.

This past week the plan had me doing short efforts on the bike and I am skeptical of doing that much pedaling right before a race.  Chris tried to explain the metaphysical benefits of doing these "openers" but they just make me feel tired.

I cleaned the New Toy last night while it flooded outside.  The rain chance for the race this Sunday keeps going up.  That does not make me happy.

The race this weekend is at the Flat Rock trail system in Columbus Ga.  It's not a combination sanction with the U. S. Cup so it will only be the Georgia Series participants.  For some reason the promoter has scheduled a short track on Saturday evening.  I don't find these to be fun.  A time trial is a better format but hey, they don't ask me.

Anyhoo, it will be nice not to have to drive through the sewer that is Atlanta to get home. 

 
 


 

 
 
 

Back in the Day


I should be more excited about the race, not that I'm not looking forward to racing, but I've raced some kind of series either moto or bicycle since 1982.  I just can't seem to stay away.  I can remember in the mid 80's meeting my friend Glenn on Saturday around noon at the local motorcycle shop, climbing into his brown Ford van (which always smelled like gas and two stroke oil), stopping at Wendy's (he would always eat a double cheeseburger), and then heading downstate to one enduro or another in the Florida Trail Rider Series.
On race day, I would get so nervous on the line waiting for my minute to come up, I would almost pee my pants.  It always seemed to be hot.  This was back before they had Camel Backs so at the check points there would be a garbage can (lined) with water, and Dixie cups.  Unfortunately if you had a late minute the only thing in the can would be spit by the time you got there.  I drank it anyway.  I remember drowning out (when the bike sucks water into the engine) at Daytona one year and having to wait for 3 hours till the sweep truck came by.  No water, 95 degrees.  I was sooo tempted to start drinking swamp water.

Not me, but I had that bike

Ok, sorry about that trip back in time.  I'll do a race report next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment