Wednesday, May 29, 2013

If He Flatted Does It Still Count?

 
 
Let me get this out of the way right up front.  I got my first sport class first place this past weekend at the Georgia State Championship Series at the Dauset trails near Jackson Ga.  That being said I did get a gift of sorts as the rider, who was waaay off the front, flatted near the end of the second lap.  Yea I know, that's racing, but still, it does kind of taint the victory.



Team Higher Ground goes through their stretching routine before the start.
 
Anyhoo, at least it didn't rain.  Trail conditions were perfect and I managed to clean all the climbs in Saturday's practice lap.  The trail was shorter and easier than last year (thanks Dave) plus it was at least 10 degrees cooler.  Somehow I managed to lose my tube, inflator, and multi tool, not a good sign.


 
 
We had dinner at Olive Garden that night, followed by some kind of caffeine laced chocolate drink from Starbucks for dessert.  I was concerned about getting out in front at the start due to the couple of climbs near the beginning of the race.  That combined with the above mentioned drink made getting to sleep a little more difficult than normal. 
 

Race Day

 

The whistle blows, we go.  I managed to get to the single track in second, first place did bobble on the first rock section I was worried about but he was already so far ahead of me that it didn't make any difference.  The rest of us formed the usual Conga line.  I couldn't put much space on them so when we got to the second little rock climb they were right behind me.  That was their mistake.
 

 
 
 


 
 
I bobbled, then spun, then went sideways, then grabbed a tree, and then proceeded to block the whole trail while I fumbled to get unclipped.  They all had to stop and walk the climb.  I managed to get back on the bike before anyone could get around me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
First place was so far out front I couldn't even see him, and I had managed to put a small gap on the rest of the old guys.  This is a dangerous place for me in a bike race because I lose my focus and start to back off.  Jim had given me good advice before the start about not using the flat sections to recover, I took that to heart and it seemed to make a difference.  That's why Jim wins.
 
Lead rider is so far ahead of me he's not even in the picture.
 
 
A couple of Clydesdale's caught and passed me which gave me a target, I got on the second guys wheel and picked it up a little.  We rode like that for a while until I caught a glimpse of an old guy behind us, gaining.  As soon as I asked, the Clydesdale let me by, and I picked up the pace.  As I rounded a corner onto a long straight I saw first place in my class off the side of his bike.  I had no idea at the time what his problem was but I wasn't going to stop and talk about it (he wasn't hurt).  I kept expecting him to catch me but of course I now know he had flatted.
 
 
 
 
So like I said I managed to get first.  In moto finish line celebrations are expected, apparently in cycling they are not.  I embarrassed the Lovely Wife (not the first time that's happened) with my excessive antics.  As Jim the Wise said "oh, you're that guy".
 

 
 
Jim the Wise on the right.  Look closely, can you tell by his expression he won his class?
 
 
The Kid came as close as he's come to winning.  He was right behind first and second when, and I quote, "I suddenly saw leaves and sky".   Seems he clipped one of those pesky trees.  He managed to straighten his bike and finish third.
 
 
Notice how twisted The Kid's bars are.  This is just after his crash.

 
 
 
 
 
The spoils of victory!
 
What possesses a bunch of 50-60 year old men to race around in the woods on bicycles?  At this point in the racing season my yard looks like crap, my dog has this "are you going again?" expression on her face as I back out of the driveway,  the minister at church has forgotten my name, and the list of house projects just keeps getting longer.  But at least the Lovely Wife and The Kid still enjoy going. 
 
Only two more and a make up race to go.
 




2 comments:

  1. I'm ready for it to be over....oh, and good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here's my question. Should I race Unicoi? Rode a 3.47 pre-ride early December for the Snake Gap TT and then proceeded to crash and burn into oblivion. By end of snake I had injured neck, separated shoulder and screwed up knee. Had to recover and am finally running wide open again. Registered for ORAMM in July. What ya think. Unicoi training ride with ya'll ? Dave Funk. Email me at David.funk@gdc4s.com

    ReplyDelete