Thursday, May 2, 2013

Rainy Day People

I'm a little disappointed with my performance last weekend at the Georgia State Championship/ Southeast Cup race in Winder Ga.  Yes it rained overnight.  And yes it rained before my race.  And of course it rained during my race.  But it absolutely flooded after the race was over.  Ahh 64 degrees, windy, and cloudy, mixed in with showers, made for a chilly start.  To say I was concerned while on the starting line would be an understatement.

On The Line

There were 11 entered in my class and we sat there in the drizzle while the wind blew off the lake, waiting for the starting whistle.  I hadn't ridden my MTB in the mud very much before this event, and I had certainly never raced in the mud.  During my practice/warm up the trail was slick in some spots but tacky in others.  I pride myself on being able to read dirt due to my many years riding moto but this stuff had me buffaloed.  I couldn't tell where or when the bike was going to slide.  I got nervous.

10 Seconds!

"Just get a good jump and survive this" I told myself.  I got away 2nd but backed off going into the woods and let 4 by me.  At first it wasn't too bad, the pace was reasonable, and my competitors in the GSC were right with me.  As the trail went down through a flat area I heard the guys up front yell something about being slick.  It was and I backed off a little more.  The first attack came from behind me on the first uphill so I followed him past a couple of SERC guys and settled into 4th.


I could stay with them on the climbs but they'd gap me on the descents.  Even in the flat sections I was being cautious and they would pull me.  We were all close the whole first lap.  I came through the feed zone still in 4th.

The End

It looks like there are at least 4 of us contesting the GSC only.  That was the group freight training through the slop on the last lap.  I was getting frustrated, I would work hard on the uphills, get a gap, a gap so big sometimes I couldn't even see the guy behind me, then lose it when it started downhill or got flat.  Somewhere during that time I got into second, I could see first through the trees, but I couldn't shake 3rd.  He managed to hang with me on the last climb, something he wasn't doing earlier, then go past on the following downhill.  Damn it!  I had beaten this guy at every race last year, and even at Macon this year.  But here he was gapping me right before the finish. 

The whole race I was convinced there was someone off the front.  If there was he didn't finish the first lap.  I rolled in 3rd, 27 seconds behind first.


Did the OMTP fail me?  Was it just the mud?  You can see I'm having doubts.


The Kid finished 4th after a good race.  He was all pumped when he met me at the finish of my race.  Of course I did the dumb dad thing when he told me he got 4th and looked disappointed.  I just knew he would do better than that and was thinking he might be bummed.  Well he was after he saw my reaction.  Oh well, just add that to the list of dumb dad stuff I do.  After all, that's all he'll remember anyway. 
"What's wrong with fourth?"

Post Race

It rained harder.  We collected our medals in the rain, loaded the Sub. in the rain, and drove most of the way home in the rain.  As my little GM 3 foursome talked after our race I learned one had had open heart surgery, the other had just finished radiation treatments.  Both of them beat me.  I don't have anything, except maybe whimpitus. 

The series results show both The Kid and I in second.  Should I stay the course?  After all the only goal I had was to be on the blocks at the end of the season.  Or should I up the intensity?  Abandon the OMTP?  I have just 2.5 weeks until the next race.  Maybe my season is already set?

3 comments:

  1. I'd say stick with the plan. "I got away 2nd but backed off going into the woods and let 4 by me." This statement could be your trouble. This is a race. Why back off unless you feel that you are going a pace that you cannot maintain to the finish. The reason 3rd passed you is because you let him hang around you atthe end. I'm all for comradery but save it to for after the race. You are faster than those guys....now effing show them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I'd love to have the band back riding together, I've gotta 2nd BJS's comments. The OMTP is working, big time. I've heard your progress discussed by others, on more than 1 ride, so your progress really shows.

    Unfortunately, I personally believe your skills got the best of you, this time. You've seen it a thousand times in MX. When the tracks get muddy, a different breed rises to the top. You said it yourself, you never ride in the mud, so how WOULD you know what to do when it gets that way? My buddy Dave B used to always, say, "Nobody ever promised you that you wouldn't race in the rain, so you damn sure better train in the rain.". I honestly believe that 2% you lost to a lack of confidence in the mud, was the difference between what you got, and what you wanted.

    Regardless, I think you're kicking ass, and it's cool to see.....right up until you drop me the next time. Then I might be inviting you on a bunch of rainy rides, to soothe my ego. :-)

    ReplyDelete