Thursday, April 25, 2013

People Get Ready

 
Ahhh, race weekend is here.  And the weather looks like, well, crap.  A high of 62 both Saturday and Sunday with a 70% chance of rain.  Oh this should be fun!  I'm being sarcastic, I've never raced a MTB in the rain.  Looks like I'll get a chance this weekend.  On the positive side I feel like the trail will drain well unless it gets a flood.  There are a couple of low places along the pond dam that will hold water.  We'll just have to see.  I'll forgo a practice lap Saturday if it's raining and just take my chances on Sunday.



As far as bike prep the only thing I think I'll do is put in new rear break pads, mine are getting worn and I'd hate to grind them down to metal (again).  That and some tackier chain lube should do it.  Unless you can think of something else?



Zone 2

For 2 hours was the OMTP prescription for last Sunday.  Big Jim and I tackled what I call the Amsterdam loop up in Decatur Co. Ga. on our cross bikes.  We only had a couple of bad mud holes to traverse so it was a pleasant ride.  You wouldn't think a zone 2 heart rate would be difficult but it did wear me down a bit.  Of course Big Jim was just cruising.  My zone 2 is his recovery pace.  We enjoyed beers on the porch at Joanies in beautiful downtown Havana afterwards.
 
 
"Why is that guy behind me going so slow?"
 
 

Sick Days

I managed to avoid the disease that has attacked my household during the past week.  First my Lovely Wife started coughing, then The Kid had a little fever.  I wore latex gloves the whole week and made sure I didn't touch anything after they did.  I may have taken this a little too far by requiring the Lovely Wife to only enter the kitchen after I was through and to not face my direction while sitting at the table.  I just locked The Kid upstairs in his room.  Can you see now why I'm such an amazing husband and father?  By focusing only on myself, I was able to keep them from feeling guilty about giving me their disease.  Hey, it's just the kind of guy I am.

2 comments:

  1. OK seriously, the "Sick Days" piece had me rolling. How did you turn that around to make YOU look like the considerate one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jim, the sick days part is damned funny, if not damningly funny.

    Another suggestion for your wet day race, soak your pedals in that silicone spray before your race. We used to use Pam cooking spray, but I think your spray lube would work too. It helps keep the mud from sticking, and saves your ass when you REALLY need to get in or out of those things in a hurry.

    Another rainy day trick is to make a 4-6" wide, 12' long splash guard out of a two liter coke bottle. Zip tie it to the underside of your downtube, and it will reduce the amount of mud getting flung eyeward off your front tire. You can easily get 2 out of a single bottle, so make one for the Kid, too. When he's all bored in a rainy day hotel room, just tell him it's arts and crafts time.

    Lastly, good luck to all of you boys heading up for this race. Just remember, everyone else is miserable too. Go ahead and get comfortable with that misery. :-)

    ReplyDelete