Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I want?




I want to wake up and only be concerned with where I'll ride today.

I want to eat lunch out of my back pack.

I want to decide which of the 20 cool restaurants we'll eat at tonight and how many beers I'll have.

I want to wake up to 40 degrees and clear skies.



I want to feel 15% humidity on my skin.

I don't want to watch it rain again.

I don't want to ride on the road because the woods are wet.

I don't want to end the ride soaked with sweat.

I don't want to walk into my laundry room and smell wet cycling shoes.

I don't want to eat Mexican food along the side of north Munroe.

If there was any question about whether or not I liked Colorado let me settle that right now.  I freaking LOVED IT!  In fact almost anywhere looks better than Florida right now.  Damn I am tired of this place.  I guess it's the constant rain that has me in such a funk.  Big Worm calls me a grumpy old man and he's right.



Getting away is what a vacation is for but the contrast between the Rocky Mountains and Florida in August is just too much to bear.

Voodoo Saturday

Anyhoo, we had a big crew on last Saturday's ride, which started out as a road ride, but quickly turned into a MTB ride when the early morning rains hit.  Yea I know that sounds counter to what you would think but it turned out that Munson was dry at 10 but the road was getting flooded at 7:30.

I was so sure we were gonna get rained on I took the single speed for what I assumed would be an easy paced trail ride on wet sand.  I even wore baggies and my old Fox helmet.  It was all going as I had planned until Dirt Hippie got on the front.  I quickly discovered I was geared too low for our new pace.  The Twilight trail is mostly flat and I was spinning like a hamster in a wheel trying to keep up.  We never got any rain but in the end I was just as soaked as if I had been swimming.

 


Later we met at this bizarre hot dog/ hamburger place called VooDoo Dogs for an after ride celebration.  Many cold protein units were consumed and greasy food was enjoyed.  This group really loves a $12 hamburger and a $5 beer in a concrete block building on the questionable side of Tallahassee. 

Big Jim ate all of this.


The really big appetites had a hot dog wrapped in bacon and covered with macaroni and cheese.  Yea, it looked as gross as it sounds.  My cheeks still hurt from laughing when I stumbled out the door and into the cloudy afternoon sun some 2 plus hours later.  Good times.

Eclectic group of pictures on the wall at Voodoo



The Day Before


Part of this same group had met for lunch on Friday.  Some of them were not working that day and some of them suddenly decided they didn't want to work any more.  Beers were ordered by the not working crowd.  Afterwards we wandered over to Higher Ground.  I realized things were going down hill when I saw some of our group racing around the shop on kids bikes.

And Jim ate all of this.



Funny, after thinking about last weekend, home doesn't seem quite so bad.  I even feel better. 

And hey look!  The sun's shining outside!




1 comment:

  1. You can come visit me in the future in our log cabin in the NC mountains. We'll be serving up some bacon wrapped hot dogs covered in chili and cheese.

    ReplyDelete