Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Bug


When it was first finished I was giddy every time I rode it.  I liked the old Red Bug but the new one was like a brand new trail.  I guess it is (was) a brand new trail.  I mean just look at the picture above.  Take a good look, because it doesn't look anything like that now.  A monsoon just weeks after it was completed combined with the incessant rains we had this summer have brought the old Bug back.  All you folk that "love the gnar" should be out there tearing it up.

I know things change as they age, it's inevitable.  When a trail is young it's bones (roots) are covered by a smooth layer of skin (fresh dirt).  But as time passes those bones start to show through.  Then the trail gets crotchety.  Just like some people.

Don't think I don't appreciate all the money you rich folks down there in Leon Co. and Tallahassee pony up out of your taxes to provide these great trails.  I'm amazed that during these tight times they still find funding to provide me with a way to get my single-track fix.


Anyhoo, just like Red Bug, I might be getting a little crotchety in my old age.  Like Monday evening.

The Discussion

As I was leaving my local gym in beautiful downtown Havana, after one of my awesome, super hard, nobody else can do this, workouts.  The owner stopped me at the door (as he usually does). 

Now keep in mind I was tired, hungry, and maybe not on my best behavior.  He knows I'm a cyclist, he lives on a local road the roadies like to ride called the Havana Hills route.  So he starts in on me about bikes riding two abreast in a long line, keeping him from passing while he's on his way home.  Then he says they throw stuff at his dog.  Plus he complains about them throwing trash in his yard.

Really?  Now the two abreast thing I get.  This particular road is narrow with limited sight distance, plus it has hills (duh).  But the dog and trash thing I just couldn't leave alone.

It Went Something Like This


Me: "You know you, and most of humanity, do a lot of things that piss me off, but you don't see me stopping you to complain about them do you?  Anyway, aren't you supposed to keep your damn dog in your yard?   Isn't it against the law to let him run free?"

Gym Owner: "Well they throw stuff at him.  And besides aren't you bikers supposed to ride on the white line?"

Me: "Yea, I know that's aggravating, but cyclists have a legal right to be on the road, and if we ride close to the edge you impatient butt holes buzz us.  Or scream profanities at us.  Imagine how it would work if every time somebody made me mad I screamed at them (I tend to do this anyway but that's another story)."

At this point Mr. Gym Owner starts to laugh. He's enjoying my little rant.  We have this type of discussion often so he's not offended.  Yet.

Me: "And what do they throw at your dog?  If that mean bastard came out and bit me I'd come back and shoot him.  Cyclists have a legal right to be on that road, your dog doesn't.  (I could never shoot a dog, I just talk big).

Gym Owner:  "They throw cups and trash at him and in my yard and that gets him pissed off."

Me:  "Wait a minute.  Cyclists don't carry cups or anything that you could throw at a dog, except maybe a water bottle.  Are you sure it's real bicycle riders?  What do they look like?"

Gym Owner:  "Well, maybe it's the kids from down the road that throw stuff at the dog, but still, you guys shouldn't block traffic like you do."

Me:  "You're an idiot.  I'm hungry.  I refuse to talk about this anymore."  This type of witty response is what makes me such a great politician.

Then he tells me about a lane widening project that's currently occurring on that very road that is supposed to have bike lanes included.  Plus, there is an effort to get funding for a mountain bike trail system close by.


Wow.  So moral of the story; if you snarl up traffic they will build extra lanes for you. 

As far as the MTB trail goes I have no idea where that came from.  I did volunteer to be a part of any further developments.  I should be good at that huh?  Can't you see how well I handle people?

4 comments:

  1. I'm staarting to see why you and I get along so well (sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great "discussion" That guy sounds like a tool. I saw them doing the work on the road on Monday and thought it looked like a bike lane might be going in. I wonder how far Salem that lane will go? Wish I knew someone who could find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell him to think about how much longer it would take to pass the cyclists if they were in one long row instead of two shorter ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I keep you and HWB around. The rants are always epic, once the pressure builds to juuuust about perfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete