Friday, September 6, 2013

Another Day On the Clay

"If those bastards were 10 years older they wouldn't be hauling up that hill like that" I thought as I watched my four "riding companions" pull away from me.  But damn did they have to make it look so easy, leaving me back there with the yellow flies?


I had my excuses.   Big Jim had pulled me all over Gadsden County two days before and my legs were still feeling it.  But the ride had started out mellow and I knew the plan was to do efforts on the rolling hills of Sunny Side road.  Still, my legs were talking to me like Scotty did to Captain Kirk on board the Star Ship Enterprise; "I'm given her all shees gat Captain" (say it in an Scottish accent).


Then, on the second hill, right when I took another deep gulp of air, one of those aforementioned yellow flies flew in my mouth.  I tried to spit it out but by this time I was very low on saliva, so he just buzzed around at the back of my throat for a couple of laps.  It was a unique feeling to say the least.  I couldn't decide whether to just swallow him or keep trying to spit him out.  Right before I ran off in the ditch I finally got enough phlegm together to get him out. 

Anhoo, those are my excuses for getting dropped and I'm sticking with them.  It's not easy always being the slowest guy on the ride, but I'm getting used to it.  Besides, it's "good training".  Yea, but they just get faster too.



After eating Georgia clay for over 3 hours the cold mug(s) of beer at Momos helped ease my frustration.  It started raining after we had finished the first two so naturally we had to have another, you know, just until the rain stopped.  I was disappointed to learn that Big Jim knew all the words to all the bad 80's songs they were playing.  And that he didn't mind singing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment