Thursday, October 17, 2013

Signs

Like most things in life it creeps up on you.  Age.  In case you haven't figured it out yet you're going to get old (maybe).  Unless you take option 2, which isn't really that much of an option to begin with. 

Anyhoo, I'd like to talk about some of the signs of aging, so one morning when you look in the mirror and see a reflection that resembles your grand parent, you don't get surprised.

These signs seem to occur at certain "moments" in life.  Like when you notice every body in a crowded room seems to be speaking gibberish.  Or you notice hair in places you didn't have it before.  The first time they offer you a senior discount at a fast food joint is a really fun experience.

I had one of those special "moments" last weekend.  Allow me to share it with you. 

The Moment

I was deep into a solid day of yard work when I got into The Kid's truck to move it from out in front of the house to the driveway so I could blow the leaves off the turnout.  He was upstairs supposedly doing homework so I didn't bother asking him to  move it. 

Before I continue, let me lay a little history on ya.  He (The Kid) had backed into a phone pole a couple of months ago.  In my best fatherly fashion I had jumped up and down all the while exclaiming how careless it was to dent a vehicle.  "I never dented my truck when I was your age" I bragged.  I succeeded in making him feel suitably careless.  Mission complete.

So, when I got into his truck to move it I wasn't even thinking about dents, or phone poles, or mail boxes.  I turned the key and was immediately assaulted by Led Zeppelin (Black Dog) playing at FULL volume.  I put the truck into reverse while I fumbled with the dial on the radio trying to turn it down.  Not having my glasses on I couldn't read all the flashing little lights, nor could I detect any change in the volume.  I just kept punching buttons and turning the dial, all to no avail.  I thought I had my foot firmly on the brake but unbeknownst to me, I was slowly rolling backwards.

The poor mail box never stood a chance.  We had just installed a new one this year.  Fortunately I only dealt it a glancing blow.  I looked up as soon as I felt my backward progress stop.  I sheepishly pulled the truck back into the driveway and got out to inspect the damage, looking around to make sure my stupidity hadn't been witnessed.

The mail box was bent but not broken and was still usable.  The truck had white scratches on the bumper which I tried to buff before I told anybody.  Realizing I wasn't going to get away with not telling anyone I went up stairs and got The Kid.  Like a good father I tried to make it all seem like it was somehow his fault but he wasn't having any of that.  He actually seemed amused that I had done something that dumb (I rarely do dumb things).  So with a smirk on his face he gave me one of "those" looks.  If you have older kids you've seen it.  It's a mixture of amusement, sympathy, and a touch of sadness.  I'm sure I'll get to see it again.  It's just one of those signs.

1 comment: