Thursday, January 30, 2014

Something To Do

 
Nah, I'm not going to talk about the weather.  But it does make for some extra time inside, something we here in this part of good old Fla. are not used to.  So I'll just ramble here for a little bit.

Last Weekend

It was partly cloudy and in the upper 50's on Sunday afternoon when we rode my Calvary Dirt/Paved route (for the second Sunday in a row for me).  I was surprised I had as many on the ride as I did.  Calvary Ga. must seem like the middle of no where to folks that rarely leave their zip code to ride so I appreciated the company.  The Garmin 800 is a great tool for navigating this type of route and we didn't make one wrong turn.  We got buzzed once and chased by the fastest German Shepard I've ever seen, but other than that, it was a great ride.



I've got a couple more rides laid out and loaded in the Garmin.  All of them originating in some small town within 30 minutes of Beautiful Downtown Havana.  I love riding roads (especially dirt roads) that I haven't ridden before. 

This Weekend

The Urban Gorilla is this Sunday.  It's been a couple of years since I did this ride.  Too many people on the trail at one time for me.  We'll see how the deal shapes up.  There is a Gentleman's Team TT near Lake City that looks like fun.  80 miles of paved and dirt roads.  There was some interest earlier but once again no commitments.  I figure I'd be the slowest rider, and since it's a team event I don't want to be the boat anchor.  We'll see.



I like having my weekends planned by Thursday, unfortunately nobody else does.  I want to look forward to a certain event, plus the Lovely Wife likes to know what's going on.  Anyhoo.


Sometime in the Distant Future

Since I've spent so much time on the trainer lately I've been able to watch a lot of You Tube videos about mountain bike races to help pass the time.  While pedaling away in my cold garage, my loyal old dog watching my feet go round and round, I got the inspiration to commit to doing the Breck Epic the year I turn 60.  A 6 day stage race, almost all above 9,000 feet, what could go wrong? 


The really scary thing is I'll turn 60 in 2016.

Looking Back

That reminds me, I was cruising Facebook the other evening, and came across a page that listed the people who graduated from high school with me.  Holy crap what happened to them?  Lots of pictures of grandkids (nothing wrong here), some are retired already (my classmates, not the grandkids).  Then I looked at my picture, yea, I do look like an old man on a bicycle.  Somehow I thought I was special.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE special.....just not in the way that you thought.
    I thoroughly enjoyed that Calvary ride, Keep 'em coming. I need the change of pace.

    ReplyDelete