Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Please

Please allow me brag just a little.  No, not about anything I've done, I know, I do that all the time here.  It's about The Kid.





He hates this picture




He's an only child of "older parents", whatever that means.  He's been a joy (so far) and he and I have been fortunate to be able to do quite a few things together.  It was always my philosophy to try to enjoy the time we had.  I guess being older I realized how quickly that time would pass.  And boy, does it ever.






So Friday evening a week ago he calls down from his suite upstairs and says "hey dad, I got in!"






"Got in what?" I ask.






"Florida, I got in Florida!" he says.






I had to brace myself on the counter.  My world swam just a bit.  Kinda like the first time I held him in the hospital delivery room, I felt just a little shift.






"So now we decide if you really want to go right?"  I asked, secretly hoping he would not want to go.






"Oh I want to go!"


And so it begins.






He had applied for Summer B which starts June 30.  That's right, in just 4 months he'll be out of the house.  I am both happy and terrified at the same time.  Happy for his accomplishment, terrified that this time has gotten here so quickly.






He has wanted to attend The University of Florida since he knew anything about college.  His uncle went there and we have always rooted for their football team.  The deal was sealed when we went down to watch FSU slaughter the Gators this fall, then went on a campus tour.  He was sold. 


I guess I just never really expected him to get in.  That's not to say he hasn't worked hard.  He's the valedictorian of his class and has always been very focused on his school work.  Must get it from his Mom's side.






It won't be easy for him.  I don't think he realizes how much of a change it will be.  We have tried to prepare him as much as possible, but you remember how it was the first time you left home right?  Yea, see what I mean?






Anyhoo, it's another step in life. and it's a big one, for all of us.

2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic! Florida will treat him well, he seems to be one of the most level kids i have ever met. Congrats Dad you are doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats David and Terri, He is a fine young man.

    ReplyDelete