Sunday, December 14, 2014

Adrift


Cross is over for me, at least until after the first of the year.  It was sad to see Swamp Cross end last Sunday.  I look forward to this event and it was especially sweet since The Kid and the Gator Cycling Team attended.  But now I find myself without a specific goal as far as cycling is concerned.

Do I want to do XC in 2015?  How about the longer distance stuff again?  Or maybe just do whatever the mood strikes.  I took this week off to see how my internal rudder would react to not having some kind of plan.  I find that I miss it.  I am terrified of ending up like my friend Big Jim but I can see how that could happen.  Unlike moto, cycling requires that the motor stay tuned all year long, which makes taking any time off totaling longer than a week a potential problem.  I hope to start back on the base XC plan Monday, so we'll see how it goes.

VHS to DVD

I converted all my VHS tapes to DVD while I was off the week of Thanksgiving.  Aside from the usual family stuff I had some footage from old moto trips, both racing and a trip we took to Colorado. I have to admit it started a twinge of maybe getting back into moto again.  Not racing but dual sport or adventure riding.  I hate to get my mind going in that direction.  But moto (at least dual sport) is soooo much easier than cycling.  (See above)


Thanksgiving day, we had the course all to ourselves.

Some Race Stuff


At Dade City CX I got a stick stuck in by cassette on the first lap of the 55+ and ended up burning matches to get back on.  Eventually losing a sprint for 6th place.  Not quite what I had hoped for. Then for some reason I thought it would be fun to ride the 4/5's.  I was knackered at the end of the day.  On Sunday I had a better race but my legs had decided to take the day off.







Swamp Cross was a completely different type of course and I only entered the 55+ class, getting a third, for my first trip to the box (in a real race, Tallahassee doesn't count).  Sunday I ended up 4th but still managed to beat the guy who got second on Saturday.


I really love CX.  It's hard but it's always interesting.  Yea it's a lot of travel for two 45 minute races. But it's the whole experience of the weekend, eating dinner on Saturday night, watching the other classes race, and even the trip down and back, that all add up to a good time.


As I type this the RHCX team (Ric and Tim) are contesting state CX champs in Tampa.  I had made other plans and am a little bummed I didn't go.  This time of the year has so much going on.



Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to The kid coming home and The Lovely Wife being off for the holidays.  After all it's not all about me, or is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment