Wednesday, June 24, 2015

It Was A Hot Afternoon, At The End Of June



And the sun was a demon.  Clouds were afraid, 110 in the shade, and the pavement was steaming. You win a special prize if you can ID the song that line came out of.  If you do I can bet you're over 50.


A stop for holy water along No Hope Rd.




My normal riding crew has evaporated like sweat on a hot road.  Up until late Friday it looked like I was going to be riding alone Saturday.  I just happened to catch Silk on a slow day and he acquiesced to let me accompany him on a 55 mile clay ride.  We left HG at 9, threading our way through the maze that is Killearn.  The clay roads were in perfect shape, the horse flies didn't seem particularly hungry, and even though it was hot, it wasn't brutal.  Silk's casual pace is just to the level I can talk on the flats but have to breathe on the climbs.  Perfect workout.

I made him stop at Bradley's Country Store on the way back and sit on the porch while I downed the best Mountain Dew I've ever had.


Silk looks kinda old in that rockin chair doesn't he?
The last few paved miles back were in full sun.  I poured water over my helmet and it hit my back hot.

Fathers Day

The Kid had decided that he wanted to do the clay route I had done on Saturday today.  Fortunately Dr. S Works wanted to ride MTB so we met at the BMX track at Tom Brown at 9 am.  The day was full summer in Fla.  Hazy and muggy.  Still the trail was in pretty good shape considering the recent rain.  The Kid had ridden there Saturday (do you see a pattern here?) and had had to hold onto a small tree on the Alford loop to keep from getting blown off the path.  He came home with red welts on this legs from the hail.  With his navigating skills I was surprised he didn't have to call for EVAC on the clay ride Sunday but he managed to find his way back.

Being the nice riding companion I am I wore Dr. S Works down then attacked on the last climb heading back to the truck.  I heard him utter "I don't care" as I went around.  He had been complaining of being dehydrated from yard work the day before.  He should have known better.

Anyhoo, I grilled hot dogs for dinner that night.  The Lovely wife made baked beans.  We don't eat hot dogs very often but man they were good!

The weekends go by too fast.

Just remember, nobody reads blogs anymore. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment