Sunday, July 5, 2015

Hanging Around

Nothing to do but frown, rainy days and Mondays always get me down.

Yea, sorry about that, it's just what came out.  The rain has been a pain but it always is this time of year in Fla.

Last Weekend 


Last Saturday Irish, Dr. S Works, and a couple whom I can't think up fake names for, rode road bikes from the Oak Valley Publix.  We skirted rain most of the route but had to ride through puddles to get back in.  Even though it was roads I ride on quite a bit I enjoyed the company.  My prep the night before was Chinese and wine, making the ride harder on me than it should have been.  Road riding is such a different animal fitness wise, I know I've said that before.  I still have some work to do.  Sigh.

With rain in the forecast for Sunday we decided to take MTBs and hit Munson.  It was flooding in Beautiful Downtown Havana when The Kid and I rolled out.  We met Ape Bike, Mrs. Ape Bike, and Dr. S Works at the trail head.  Silk for some reason known only to him was riding his CX bike from his house and meeting us there.

It was still raining when we unloaded, with a huge blob on the radar headed our way.  But miracle of miracles we never got a drop.  What I was sure was going to be a rain ride turned out to be dry as a bone.  It had been a while since I'd done a group MTB ride and it felt good.

This Week

Wrecking Ball and Little Wrecking Ball both play in rock bands.  Both are amazing musicians.  Both were playing in a bar in Tallahassee on the same night.  The  Lovely Wife had wanted to go to see the Rolling Stones, I told her this would have to do.  

The music was great, the environment, well, not so much.  Too much of my fellow man (and woman) pressed together in a basement, most drinking, almost all smoking.  I made it through all of LWB's set and 3 songs into WB's when I had to pull the ripcord.  I guess I'm just too old for that stuff anymore.

Holiday



The Lovely Wife gets the photo credit for this






I was surprised that there wasn't a special ride planned for the 4th of July.  Lucky for me Silk and the Kid wanted to do a CX ride around Tallahassee.  We hit roads through campus that I'd never been on.  Then onto the bike path down to Munson (yea again). After a lap of Munson we rolled up the east side and back to HG.



Today

The sweat falls off the front of my helmet, running down my nose and eventually flying off into the wind.  It's early on another muggy Sunday morning and I'm alone on Shady Rest Road.  I'm trying to get my 1.5 hours in before the rain starts at noon.  I can see the clouds building up in the west, piling up like soft serve ice cream cones. 


The zone 2 ride feels easy for some reason, maybe because we didn't go very hard yesterday.  I can even look around at the scenery instead of just staring at my Garmin or my front wheel.  As I descend into a hardwood bottom it gets at least 20 degrees cooler, feeling like a giant door has been left open into an unseen refrigerator.  I actually get goose bumps, but it doesn't last for long.  I pass calves grazing along the side of Lanier Road, they spook and run as I go by.

I consider trying to hit the Strava section but loose interest about half way through, my mind getting caught in a song that I can't get out of. It's the one at the beginning of this blog. It takes me back to 1974 and walking home from high school.  Then my mind jumps to a dirt road behind the lake house my family used to own.  I get lost in the memories.  

I make the right onto highway 12 and head for home, managing to beat the storm which rolls in at 12 just like clockwork.  I get cleaned up and plop down on the couch to watch The Tour.  

Funny but it seems that it's the only thing to do.  

I have no idea why the font changed half way through.  Remember, nobody reads blogs anymore.:)

1 comment:

  1. The font change is humorous. Thought you were yelling at me, at first. Hopefully I'm getting back to normal in this whole house moving silliness. Then I can get back to the job at hand, aggravating you as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete