Tuesday, September 22, 2015

You Know You Got It If Makes You Feel Good

Tom Brown from the air


Well I just didn't have it.  I knew something was off last Saturday before the Florida State Championship Race at Tom Brown in Tallahassee Fl on Sunday.  I was looking forward to racing, I had done the work, but I just wasn't excited.  And it showed.

Saturday Lap

The trail was as perfect as I've ever seen it.  I was a little disappointed that they took out Gun Range and didn't use Kudzilla this year but it was still fun.  I rode easy except for an opener toward the end then went to Cabos for lunch.  No beer was consumed.  Maybe that was the problem.

Race Day

The Kid finished 7th  after dropping a chain on the first lap, not happy


Clear and 66 degrees!  I got the tent set up and headed out for my prescribed warm up.  I was a little nervous but still not excited, and it showed in my heart rate during my intervals.  I just wasn't getting through the pain and into my higher zones.  I had planned to hang back at the start and move up on the multi use going out so I just figured I'd get into it during the race.  Not the best of plans.

If you're gonna be slow you should look good
We sat on the line for a while so the promoter could sort through some stuff.  Then I heard "5 seconds".  At the whistle I clipped in first try and proceeded to casually roll down the hill in the very back of the pack.  I didn't mean for it to be casual but it sure turned out that way.  I moved up a couple of places before we hit the single track but was still bringing up the rear.

I made a pass on an alternate line and saw a rider ahead of me who I knew had the ability to get on the box.  On the last climb I got a little closer.  I was breathing heavy but not in trouble, yet.  As we came around to start our last lap an expert women passed me along with the rider I had passed earlier who was in my class.  Both he and the guy I'd been chasing kicked it when we got on the multi use.  I stuck behind the lady thinking I could draft and save some energy.  I got lazy and let her pull while the other two started to gap us.  By the time I woke up and went around her I could just barely see them through the trees ahead of me.

It's Never Happened Before

So if I was going to make any kind of kick now was the time to do it.  I went into a left hand turn before a small climb, dropped a couple of gears, and promptly popped the chain off to the outside of the big ring on the front.  It's so rare that this happens, I was spinning my legs like crazy thinking it would catch.  Then I rolled to a stop and looked down.  It took two tries plus getting my glove caught in the chain ring to get the thing back on and going.  By the time I got back on they were out of sight. I lost what little mojo I had and rolled in for a 13 place finish.  Not my best race.

The After Party
The old man in the orange shirt was a little slow today 

I enjoyed the race, maybe that's one reason I didn't do so well.  We all have those days on the bike sometimes.  Fortunately Higher Ground had brought beer and was grilling chickens and that helped put a good spin on the day.



The Next Race?


I wonder if I should cat down to the 60+ class?  I wouldn't need to work so hard.  After all, I will be 60 next year.  I kinda feel like that might be giving up though.  I still enjoy racing and I enjoy the training also.  So it boils down to riding for a spot on the box with less competition or staying where I am and working harder for a spot at the bottom.  

But, catting down, could that be the beginning of the end?

Anyhoo, if that's all I have to worry about I don't have too many problems do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment