Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tuesday Afternoon

A week ago today.  It had been misting most of the day and I was jonesing for a CX ride.  I'd just bought a new training plan from Training Peaks and I was anxious to get started.  It called for 1.5 hours on the bike followed by a .5 run.  I was almost done with the bike portion of the ride so I decided to cross Meridian and roll the multi-use since I was planning on doing my run there.

It All Goes Terribly Wrong

The face you make when the drugs go in.

I have probably ridden this section of multi-use hundreds of times, I wasn't even going fast.  It was just a little slicker than I thought it would be.  I lost the front end so fast I didn't even have a chance to take my hands off the bars.

As soon as I hit I knew I had screwed up bad.  I couldn't move my right leg so I just grabbed it and threw it on top of my left.  I got out my cell phone and started dialing.

The first person to answer was Big Jim, I told him the deal and asked him to head toward TMH so The Lovely Wife would have some company.  I called her.  Then I called 911.

May I Have a Cross Road Sir?

I'll admit to being more than a little stressed out.  By this time people had stopped and I was making some progress toward getting out.

I call Leon 911:

"What is the nature of your emergency?"
"I've fallen off my bicycle and have either broken or dislocate my hip."
"Where are you located?"
"On the multi-use trail at Overstreet, across from Forest Meadows on Meridian."
"Ok sir, please stay on the line with me.  I'll need a cross street."
"Mam, I'm in the woods and getting real shaky.  There's not any other streets out here.  Just send EMS and Fire with an ATV to the flashing light on Meridian and I'll have someone meet them there."

By this time I had drawn quite a crowd.  I was having trouble holding my phone. I told her I had to hang up. I finally heard sirens.

Rescued

I could hear the Rino/Mule/Gator easing its way down the path.  I was wet, cold, and dirty and had been on the ground about an hour.  I was sure glad to see those guys.  They gave me some meds and with much screaming on my part loaded me up and we began the long slow bumpy ride back to the ambulance.

Another Tuesday Afternoon

I'll stop here for today.  I have broken my hip, gone through surgery, and am at home convalescing.  We are over the hardest part (I hope).

So much changed in such a small amount time.

I'm looking forward to getting this all out.



No comments:

Post a Comment