Sunday, October 11, 2015

It Ain't Easy

I have all kinds of stories from my short stay at TMH.  Suffice to say that the staff was kind.  They operated on me, put me back together, got me up on crutches, and got me out the door.  Since we are new to this health care thing there were a few subjects they could have done a better job of covering but we didn't know what we didn't know.

Home

I got myself folded into the Subaru and we made it home in a driving rain.  The crutch walk from the street to the front door was like a qualifier.  I made it but was terrified.  They had me climb steps with crutches that day at TMH but it was a different story having to do it by myself at 6 in the evening. The Lovely Wife (TLW) helped as much as she could.  I am not a good patient.

A New Life

Those first few days are a blur.  Let me say right now I could not have made any of this happen without TLW.  I wore out thank you and I'm sorry in those first two days.  I have no idea how anyone could get through something like this without help.

Friends stopped by, neighbors brought food, one even stopped by to see if I'd died, since the truck had been in the driveway all week.  I was surprised by how much I could do, and it got a little better every day.  The pain wasn't that high just constant and it worked on me so that by the afternoon I was getting down.  I did some of the exercises the PT had given me the day I checked out, and made laps around the kitchen, but the mental part was hard to get a grip on.

Last Thursday evening TLW starts to count pain pills and discovers I don't have enough to make it through the weekend.  I had incorrectly assumed they would give me enough to last until my next doctors visit.  Turns out they can't call in pain med scripts and you have to have a actual written one in your hand.  After 3 hours of automated phones and transfers TLW went to TOC and got the prescription.  She went directly to the pharmacy and got it filled.  This is on a Friday afternoon mind you.  If we hadn't counted pills I would have been without pain meds by Saturday night.  I can't imagine how that would have worked out.  At the pharmacy they acted like she was crazy when she told them she didn't know any of this.

Day by Day

The Kid came home Friday night, he's a little freaked out by all of this.  Welcome to the club.

I am able to work from the house.  I am getting cabin fever already.  I stopped looking at FB for now. My PT starts Monday and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.  Sure it's scary knowing how much pain they will put me through but it's better than sitting at the house, at least I guess it will be.

Anyhoo, as Dr. Sworks told me "You'll get through this, ya got no choice."

No comments:

Post a Comment