Friday, January 29, 2016

Time Has Come Today


4 months since "Hip Day".  It both seems like a long time and a short time.  It sure wasn't a good time. But it hasn't all been bad.  An injury like this certainly forces you to focus on the immediate future and take things in smaller blocks.  It also makes you realize how much you miss the simple things we all take for granted.  Running, how much fun it would be to just be able to trot after the dog in the evening.  Getting through one day without thinking or talking about the injury (I'm sure The Lovely Wife would agree with this one).  Not measuring your steps.  Being able to go and do what you want is such an incredible gift.



Clay Ride

My first time on the CX bike since Hip Day.  I was terrified.  Every little root or rut made me pucker. As long as we were on a road of some type I was ok, but as soon as we got into anything resembling single track I almost stopped breathing.  Anything down hill made me ride the brakes.  We did another clay ride this past weekend and I felt better.  Still sketchy on the down hills and around other riders but I had a better time.



I had my usual spot in the back of the group last Sunday as we rolled out from Bradley's when this gray haired gentleman came back and rode up beside me.

"That bike looks new" he says.
"It's a little over a year old" I replied.  "I've been off it for a few months".
"How old are you?" he asks.
"Almost 60" I tell him.
"Ha!" he says, "I'm the oldest on this ride, I'm 64!"

Us old guys are like dogs when it comes to staking out the "oldest guy on the ride" trophy.  It isn't often I don't win the prize.  I guess I should be insulted that he thought I might be older than him.  I forget how I look.

The Woods


I've really been enjoying Munson lately.  It's easy, doesn't scare me, and it's pretty out there this time of year.  It just feels really good to get out in the woods.





No comments:

Post a Comment