Thursday, February 25, 2016

Every Time That I Look In The Mirror

All these lines in my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by like dust to dawn
Isn't that the way

That song came out when I was in high school.  It has followed me since.  All the while getting more and more relevant.

So tomorrow I turn 60.  Wow, that's hard for me to believe.  Before my recent issues I would have told you that I feel like I did when I was 30.  That's not quite the case anymore.  Oh I certainly don't feel like I'm 60 but I will admit this past 5 months has aged me.

Anyhoo, my leg is getting better.  According to my doctor just 10 years ago I would have been in much more trouble.  The procedure they did on me was perfected on soldiers with battlefield injuries so it's relatively new.  I have all kinds of rods and screws in my hip and above my knee.  It seems I am ahead of schedule when it comes to my recovery, even though it seems slow to me.  I am very fortunate to have had good care.  Say what you want about the cost of our medical system but they can do some amazing things.

Riding

My riding is still not where I'd like it to be.  Standing out of the saddle causes me enough pain that I only want to make about 10 pedal strokes before I sit down again.  I am enjoying it though, not the pain, but just the ride.  I often use this analogy; I feel like I'm standing in front of a display case full of donuts.  In the past I used to be able to eat all the donuts I wanted.  Now however, after eating just a couple, I can't eat anymore. That's how riding is going.  I think I can still do all these 4 hours rides but the reality is more like one 3 hour.  And even that is at a conservative pace.

Speaking of donuts, my body composition has definitely changed during the past 5 months.  Things jiggle and there's bulges where there weren't before.  When you can't use the larger muscles in your legs to their max it becomes hard to burn off the calories.  Then there's that whole donut thing.  I can't seem to resist those sweet goodies.

The Kid

The Kid hasn't been home but once since Christmas.  We did make a trip to Gainesville to watch the UF cycling road race and crit so we got to see him there.  Still, we are getting used to not having him in the house.  This empty nest thing is getting to be the norm.

The Kid warming up before the crit.

Tomorrow

I think I'll take the day off.  Maybe go for a ride, drink a beer at lunch, then do some yard work. 
After all, it's not every day you get to turn 60.


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Brother! Can't believe my older brother is 60. Enjoy your day off.

    ReplyDelete