Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Just For Me

Quick Recap


September 2016 was the last post on this blog.  Nobody blogs anymore.  Kinda sad really.  I found I miss this.  I'll be doing this for me, don't care if anyone else is interested.  No posting on FB or anything like that.

Let's see, back in September of last year it had been one year since I exploded my hip.  The hip is finally getting to the point I can put real pressure on it weekly without limping for the next few days. This past week has been the first whole week without some form of pain.  Muscle wise the right leg is still quite a bit smaller than the left but now that I can work it harder maybe it will catch up.


I joined a new gym and finally got some good instruction on squats that has made a difference.  I still only run on the treadmill for 5 minutes during warm up but even that seems to be getting easier.  I'm using the OMTP (old man training plan) that I have used for the past 5 years for the cycling.  It may not push me as hard as other plans but it has kept me healthy if not any faster.

Speaking of faster.  I'm not.  In fact I seem to be getting slower.  The heart rate is there but the pressure on the pedals just doesn't equate to forward motion.  Sure, I'm winning the 60+ class so far but I worry I may be facing the inevitable decline of being 61.


Should I Care?

I really enjoy the races.  I am just thankful that I can do what I can do.  If the crash taught me anything it's that life is a moment to moment thing.  It's a shame you have to get old to appreciate that. 

I'll admit to being gun shy on tricky sections while riding, especially if it's wet. If you do what
I did 19 months ago you never forget it.  At least I won't.

So I'll answer my own question.  No, I should just be glad to be doing what I do.  I am very fortunate (just not very fast).

The Kid

Will be a senior at UF after this summer.  Hard to believe.  He's letting his hair grow out.  He's doing well in school.  He doesn't realize how good he has it.  Did any of us at that age?


I'd like him to enjoy the cycling for what it is.  A hobby.  Something to look forward to doing regardless of the outcome.  Easy for me to say.

Ah, I Feel Better Already

At the race in Ft. Yargo last weekend, while warming up, I came across an old cemetery back in the woods.  The contrast between that scene and the start of the races just down the hill made me pause. We should work to enjoy as much of this time as we have, after all, it's always later than we think.


No comments:

Post a Comment