Thursday, July 13, 2017

Almost There



SERC and GSC are in the books.  I never thought I'd be able to finish the GSC yet alone the SERC when it all started on that rainy cold March weekend.  My leg power was still down as was my confidence from THE CRASH.  Even though it had been 18 months earlier it was still in my head.


Still is, just not as often.



My decision to enter the 60+ base class has been thoroughly mulled over.  Yes I won both series, even overcoming a 15 point deficit in SERC due to missing the second round (I won't make that mistake again).  I did enjoy the shortened race time and it was better for rehabbing my leg.  I would have had better races in the 50+ base but I didn't know that back in March.  I hope to do the series again in 2018.   Which class will I contest?  Lets see what life looks like at 62 and then decide.

I enjoyed almost all of the courses.  The Bergers put on a professional event.  I met good people and we had a good group from Tally going.  It didn't hurt that we had good weather at almost all the races.
The Kid got into it so it was a real treat to spend time as a family again.  I realize the times we will get to do this kind of stuff are coming to an end so I enjoy it even more.  The fact that Lovely Wife likes to go is like icing on a cake.  It's beyond me why she likes it so.

Forward

My leg hurts now more than it has in months.  I guess Utah followed by the short track and then the XC race (with all the climbing) may have put me in pain.  I hope it gets better before:

Nationals

A week from this Thursday I will line up for my first MTB XC national (unless it's flooding then I may chicken out).  I've done the work so I'm as ready as I'll ever be.  My leg is has me concerned but there's not much I can do about it at this point.  I will admit to not being very pumped about the race.  I got up for the GSC/SERC and that was my "A" race for the year.  Maybe I'll get my head right once I ride the track.  One things for sure it will be an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment