Friday, July 7, 2017

Utah

A spur of the moment decision.  Very unlike me.  The Bergs had planned to go and invited me along, not sure CB actually meant for me to go though.  So I booked last minute plane tickets and got a hotel in Park City.  CB very  generously lent me a bag to fly my bike out there.  This caused me quite a bit of angst as renting was more expensive but flying my race bike halfway across the country had me nervous.  In the end I bagged it up.

On My Own

I wanted (needed) a me-only trip.  It had been 11 years since I'd been somewhere by myself.  So I left The Kid (much sadness on his part) and Lovely Wife at home.  Just having to only look after yourself after being responsible for others is like a trip back in time.  Just get myself around, eat, and ride my bike.  Simple.

Leaving Thursday

CB's son, Captain Jack (CJ) accompanied us as we loaded the bikes and bags onto the Delta baggage platform in the muggy Florida morning.  I was bouncing off the walls but the Bergs were more reserved.  They (of course) had first class tickets all the way out and back while I sat in the back with the common folk.  CB handed out hand wipes to ward off the germs we were sure to collect on the plane or in the airport, this would become important later.  Both flights were uneventful.  After landing in SLC we drug our bike bags and luggage to the rental truck and headed to PC.  We rode by my hotel in search of the condo the Bergs had rented.  Then we did it again, then again, then again.  Finally finding the rental agency and locating the keys we returned to the condo.  Their room was on the 3rd of 3 floors, no elevator, and no air conditioning.  Said CB "this is less than optimal".  My hotel room was perfect (when I finally got there) and I settled in to unpack my bike.

Ride Thursday Evening

CB wasn't feeling well so I rolled out alone and lost.  Not having a map or having any idea where to go I meandered around till I found a trail on the mountain and headed up.  I bumped into a group ride of what must have been 50 people.  I regret I didn't tag along but I was very unsure of where it might end up so I just went back to the hotel.  I hit the local grocery store which was, conveniently, located next to me for chips and beer, then to the state liquor store for some whiskey, I was ready.

The Only Day All Three of Us Would Ride, Friday

I located Wasatch Bagel just a couple of blocks from me.  This would be my favorite way to start the morning.  Food was great as was the atmosphere.  The owners were mad Mexicans and reminded me of the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld but it was worth it.  47 degrees and 20% humidity, I put on arm warmers and headed to the condo.


CJ had down loaded Trailforks and was prepared to guide us so I followed he and CB up the mountain.  If I had been on my own I'd have gone by the local bike shop for a map.  As it turned out I downloaded Trailforks later in the week (by necessity) and it worked great.

The altitude and the grade quickly put me in granny gear.  The trail was amazing, perfectly maintained, the switchbacks were doable with no ugly surprises.  In fact all the popular intermediate trails were well cared for.  The dirt was grippy even though conditions were very dry.  CB was complaining of a headache but he soldiered on.  As we headed down the mountain the first trails were full flow.  Much happiness was had.  Then CJ ventured onto some stuff that required me to dismount and do some hike a bike.  Full XC carbon fiber shoes don't make for the best hiking over loose rocks down a steep grade.  Still a great day on the bike.  I was exhausted when I got back to the hotel.  So I showered, poured a drink, and climbed into bed.

View from my room

Saturday and the Bug First Hits

CB caught it early Saturday morning.  "As sick as I've ever been in my life" he tells me when I call to find out where they are.  Damn.  So I meet CJ and we proceed to do lift runs down the mountain.  I've never ridden downhill that much.  It was almost relaxing riding back up the lift.  My legs didn't get real tired but my arms and shoulders did.   Plus it was mentally tiring covering the terrain faster than I usually do.  At the end of the day we were both tuckered out.   I headed back to the hotel and got cleaned up for the free concert.  







Sunday Alone?

CJ caught the bug early in the morning.  What bad luck.  It was going to be a lonely ride by myself.

At my favorite restaurant I was perusing FB and noticed a friend of mine was posting from Park City.  I IM'd and we set up a ride for the day.  No lifts today, we earned all our turns.  One of the best days ever on the bike.  Thanks Ted.



I had dinner with Ted and his wife at a saloon in PC to end a perfect day (for me at least).  I was paranoid I would catch the bug and froze every time my stomach rumbled.

Monday, the Last Day on The Mountain

Both the Bergs were still down.  Again, what rotten luck.  I did a little solo ride up the mountain and took my time, enjoying the views and trying to soak it all in.  Then shopping for prizes for Lovely Wife and The Kid.  Lunch was at another saloon which didn't allow anyone under 21 in the door.  No kids, no babies, nice.  After a couple of beers with lunch I went back and packed the bike up, took a dip in the pool (just to say I did it), and walked over to the grocery store for a deli sandwich, coke, and some ice cream.

Tuesday the 4th of July, The End

The flight back was uneventful.  The Bergs were quiet and I refrained from talking about my rides, we rode to the airport in silence.

Would I go back?  Oh hell yes.  For riding MTB it was perfect.  At least perfect for me and that's all that really counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment