Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Group Rides vs The OMTP

After wimping out on my Thursday workout because of the cold I rescheduled it for Friday.  5/8 minute zone 4 intervals felt good, but left me a little tired Saturday.  Dr. Sworks and Catman agreed to ride with me Saturday.  The Doc is still rehabbing so we stayed on multi use and kept a moderate pace.

Catman peeled off but bumped into Postman and they both found me after Doc went home.  It was then the pace went up and so did the single track.  I was working hard and they were talking.  Not quite the 2.5 hours the plan called for but close enough.

Sunday brought word of a group ride with the promise of pizza and brews afterward.  Once again not what the plan called for.  I was already tired but felt like I could work a good effort into the ride by starting early and maybe riding longer.  I had forgotten how easily people who don't ride often tire out.  Look, I get it.  Just two years ago I was rehabbing and wasn't able to ride long without stopping, so I know how it feels.

This is where I struggle with a training plan vs just riding my bike.  I did manage to ride 3 hours, which is what the plan called for.  However, it took over 4 hours to get that 3 hours in.  I enjoyed the fellowship of the group ride, they are more talented than I will ever be.  I liked watching them have fun on their bikes.  But, combine the erratic pace with what some would call a questionable recovery strategy and I worry I may have thrown away a hard training block.  Should I worry?  I mean really, it's just the 60 plus class.  That's not it though.  I enjoy the process and I think I let the process down.

Anyhoo, it was still a good day on the bike.  The beer was cold and the pizza tasty.  In the grand scheme of things having fun with friends will be more important than a training day (?).  The group rides don't come very often anymore.  So I guess I should just chill the hell out?  On the other hand I enjoy finishing a hard training block also.

If this is all I have to worry about everything must be going pretty good huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment