Thursday, March 8, 2018

Some Downs, Some Ups

I had to put my old dog Sandy down a week ago Friday.  It had been coming for a long time, still didn't make it easy.  We got her when Blake was in first grade so she'd been with us for 15 years.  She was a sweet dog and will be missed.

Still I will admit to a certain sense of relief.  She had been deaf for the past 5 years and had had hip problems for the past year.  I would look out in the garage every morning to see if she was still alive.  A gentleman I used to bird hunt with told me once "If you're gonna be a dog man you'll have to put a few down in your life".  This was number two, I'm not sure I can do it again.  So we'll spend a while dog free and see how that goes.

Anyhoo, so much for the downs.  On the up side Blake came home for his spring break and we got to ride the Dirty Pecan together.  Rumors of 500 riders showing up had me wanting to be anti social and roll out early.  Blake was okay with that as he had a certain wattage he wanted to do for 3.5 hours and being around 500 bobos would make that difficult.  Turns out there wasn't near 500 but we had already made our plans.

I soon discovered that holding a certain wattage was quite a bit different from holding a heart rate.  At first it felt easy, but as we got into the hills I discovered that you pedaled just as hard going down as you did going up.  Every time we crested a hill Blake would go "click, click, click" on the gears.  I soon worked up a little hate for that sound.  He dropped me not long after the water stop in Boston but couldn't leave me since he had forgotten to download the route (snicker).

What a great day though.  I'm very fortunate to be able to do these things with my son.

Race

This weekend is the start of the Georgia Series.  Rain is in the forecast so I'm having to work to stay positive.  My training is going good so far.  Training Peaks shows my fitness is on the rise and I'm looking forward to the time trial Saturday and the XC Sunday.  I can't believe it's race season again, once again I sooooo happy to be able to do these things.  Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment